Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shohin Yew

+2
mike Bat
Will Heath
6 posters

Go down

Shohin Yew Empty Shohin Yew

Post  Will Heath Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:37 am

Here's a little Yew I have been working on. Styled over two years from raw stock, bought for one dollar.

Next I will detail the apex and start on a little Shari work.....and of course, find a suitable pot.

(yes I know all about the bar branches, but they will stay for now out of necessity)

Will

Shohin Yew Yew00510

Shohin Yew Yew00511

Shohin Yew Yew00512
Will Heath
Will Heath

Back to top Go down

Shohin Yew Empty Re: Shohin Yew

Post  mike Bat Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:50 am

i like it ,, it could really turn out nice ... for a buck why not ... good work man ...

mike Bat

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaistud Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:43 pm

G'day Will...

"...yes I know all about the bar branches..." ???

What's wrong with bar branches Will? I know...John Naka...among many others...

But...but...but...Ive seen bar branches in Nature since before I knew what they were to...forever. From the Pacific to the Atlantic...from Canada to Mexico...from sea level to over 12,000 feet elevation. Hawaii too.

Nothing unnatural about bar branches.

Oh...nice start on yewr little Yew...

Pat

Last edited by bonsaistud on Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
bonsaistud
bonsaistud

Back to top Go down

Post  Will Heath Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:02 am

This tree is just a little under seven inches in height.
Will Heath
Will Heath

Back to top Go down

Post  Cliff Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:47 pm

bonsaistud wrote:G'day Will...

"...yes I know all about the bar branches..." ???

What's wrong with bar branches Will? I know...John Naka...among many others...

But...but...but...Ive seen bar branches in Nature since before I knew what they were to...forever. From the Pacific to the Atlantic...from Canada to Mexico...from sea level to over 12,000 feet elevation. Hawaii too.

Nothing unnatural about bar branches.
Bar branches are considered visually unappealing, distract attention from the rest of the tree, and can cause a swelling of the trunk at that point. Yes it happens in nature, but that's not sufficient; we also want our bonsai to be aesthetically pleasing. When we look at trees in nature for inspiration, we don't just pick trees at random, we pick the ones that grab our attention, that stir our emotions.

Cliff

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:30 pm

It has always been my opinion that bar branches are only a problem if they are the first thing you notice about the tree. Bonsai is the art of first impressions. The eye of the viewer will always go to the most significant visual feature of any tree and wander from there. If the initial feature to draw attention is a bar branch relationship then you have a problem. This is not the case with this tree. The only time you really notice the bar branches is when you go to analyzing the trees form rather than enjoying its form.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Wm Tom Davis Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:49 pm

Will Heath wrote:This tree is just a little under seven inches in height.

Will,
I think its a wonderful start for a shohin Yew.

Last edited by Wm Tom Davis on Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling...)
Wm Tom Davis
Wm Tom Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaistud Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:29 pm

"...considered visually unappealing..."

I know, Cliff, I know...

However, as Vance said "...bar branches are only a problem if...".

Thank you Vance.

Just another example of "the eye of the beholder". If it works for you, that's OK...if it doesn't, that's OK too...

Pat
bonsaistud
bonsaistud

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down