Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to make a better shimpaku?

+2
Ryan
Jake16
6 posters

Go down

How to make a better shimpaku? Empty How to make a better shimpaku?

Post  Jake16 Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:45 pm

I have this small shimpaku and instead of waiting a year for more foliage and styling it the way it is, I would like to make it more dynamic. So how are the shimpakus like the one below twisted so much and how do you keep the foliage close as the trunk thickens. The pictures after are my shimpaku and i understand it has a straight section but that's ok with me.

(pic is from a post by Penjing)
How to make a better shimpaku? 20091010

Mine

How to make a better shimpaku? 20121215

How to make a better shimpaku? 20121216
Jake16
Jake16

Back to top Go down

How to make a better shimpaku? Empty Re: How to make a better shimpaku?

Post  Ryan Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:48 pm

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake16 Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:59 pm

Thanks Ryan,

Im creating an account right now so I can view the pics but I read the first part and Im pretty sure my tree at the bottom is more the 3/8" so hmm.
Jake16
Jake16

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:00 pm

Jake16 wrote:Thanks Ryan,

Im creating an account right now so I can view the pics but I read the first part and Im pretty sure my tree at the bottom is more the 3/8" so hmm.

Ah yes, that's a good point. I just figured you could bend the crap outta that upper half at least.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake16 Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:02 pm

I can definitely do that. Question is how to make it look good?
Jake16
Jake16

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:41 pm

Jake16 wrote:I can definitely do that. Question is how to make it look good?

Isn't that where the artist in you has to come out?

I think that you should not over-think these things. Just bend, and let it grow for a while. You could consider bending down around the straight section, in order to mask it in the future?
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:46 pm

Jake16 wrote:I can definitely do that. Question is how to make it look good?

Time! LOTS of it. That tree you showed may be 50-100 years old. You can force a nursery tree to twist and turn, but you have to:

a. Start with very good -- and old -- material, or
b. Start with merely good material and be willing to work on it -- and wait -- for 10-20 years, developing YOUR skills (on other trees) as you go.

I'm not sure the tree you want to start with will ever get you there -- but it can serve to develop your skills.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  appalachianOwl Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:17 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXBolLNIFYo some good info there, as well as explains how they get to be like the one you pictured. Aything has potential, nature has no rule book, do take the time though to properly map the derection you would like to go. All we have is time, good growing.
appalachianOwl
appalachianOwl

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:50 pm

the one shown was coiled up as a small very thin tree and then field grown to thicken and set. These are pieces of commercial material designed to be a bonsai of an exact shape from day one.

This is the opposite of getting an already thicker juniper and trying to coil it up.....basically a juniper left to grow as a garden plant will not end up making the corkscrew style tree anything like the one you first pictured. I think the single biggest skill that must be learnt in bonsai is to be realistic about the material that sits in front of you and to know what finished style will be achievable with both time and your skill and ability at the time.

As far as getting foliage near the trunk it is easy if you ignore the poor advice of removing the new shoots that appear at the inner branch forks and between the trunk and branch unions. Older books said to clean these out, and this has become the repeated advice for juniper thinning, but it is these inner shoots you need to use to regrow the branches from nearer to the trunk. Letting the sunlight reach the inner areas stimulates the buds, feeding well develops the tree and then managing the outer growth sends energy to these inner shoots - this makes them stronger - then you cut the outer part of the branch off and start the branch again from the new shoot.

trees that refuse to form inner shoots need to become larger trees Laughing

cheers

marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake16 Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:28 pm

Jim,

I know that this tree will never be as nice as Penjing's tree but I was trying to get close as this tree would allow me to.

Thanks appalachianOwl,

Marcus,

I know that they dont coil up by themselves but I wasnt sure if mine was small enough to try coiling it. Thanks for the other info also.
Jake16
Jake16

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake16 Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:08 pm

Ok so I just watched the Lindsay Farr's Bonsai season two episode two. The guy in the video was creating a spiral shari on the trunk every year or every few years. Just to make sure, He is just getting the spiral vein to enlarge, not actually bending the trunk correct?
Jake16
Jake16

Back to top Go down

Post  appalachianOwl Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:05 pm

that was interesting, looks like that's what was done, some bending but no twisting.
appalachianOwl
appalachianOwl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down