Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tinyroots brand

5 posters

Go down

tinyroots brand Empty tinyroots brand

Post  Just Mike Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:59 am

i was just wondering if anyone has any experience, or has any info on Tinyroots brand tools...ive searched and searched but cant really find much in the way of reviews or anything...

thanks in advance for any input or links
Just Mike
Just Mike

Back to top Go down

tinyroots brand Empty Re: tinyroots brand

Post  JimLewis Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:17 pm

Fist I've heard of them. They certainly sound nice -- probably a bit on the expensive side, what with the "hand rubbed" bamboo presentation cases and the continuous word" luxury" in the promotional info and all the puffery about the traditional and secret manufacturing process.

BonsaiMonk, however, is a reputable enough dealer in bonsai supplies. Personally, I'd pass on the stainless sets.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Just Mike Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:45 pm

now see...that was exactly what i thought...i usually try to steer clear from things that have too many fancy words or market themselves as secret or magical...and i could honestly care less about who, how or with what the box was rubbed with...really, i could care less about the box itself lol...as far as the price goes, they are actually really reasonable...a masters grade carbon steel round-edge concave cutter 8" is around $55...

im still debating and trying to find someone who has had used them, or at the very least has seen them in person...if i decide to purchase anything, ill be sure to write a review...

thanks for the reply.
Just Mike
Just Mike

Back to top Go down

Post  rps Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:27 pm

if you run 'tinyroots' [one word] through this site's search engine you'll be able to read a couple of short [inconclusive] strings.

i have yet to handle any of the tinyroots goods, but i have finally seen and handled some of the ryuga product [much discussed in these pages] & can report precision workmanship and impressive balance --- so, there are some well made chinese tools out there. of course, the jury's still out on how they'll endure rigourous extended use.
rps
rps

Back to top Go down

Post  Just Mike Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:18 pm

i have read the inconclusive thread on tinyroots, and actually pm'd the guy who was thinking about purchasing them...still waiting to hear back...i think i may be one of the last people who actually prefer to use the search function before creating a whole new thread...the ryuga seem nice, and are promoted on the joshua roth site, so chinese made tools may be starting to make a turn for the better...the tinyroots however are made in japan...from what i have read, its not one of those "made in japan but assembled in a factory in vietnam somehwere" either...they are supposedly actually made in japanese factories...

judging by how many views this thread has already had, and lack of responses, it seems like im not the only one curious about these...

i also heard something about chinese-made tools that are backed by Robert Steven called "bonsai aesthetics"...quite and endorsement...now, these tools are dirt cheap...and when i say cheap, i mean, the prices are so low it makes a person nervous, confused, and curious all at the same time...example: 7" knob cutter on sale for 10 bucks, and normally like 15 bucks...it makes a person wonder ya know?
Just Mike
Just Mike

Back to top Go down

Post  PeacefulAres Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:27 pm

JimLewis wrote:Fist I've heard of them. They certainly sound nice -- probably a bit on the expensive side, what with the "hand rubbed" bamboo presentation cases and the continuous word" luxury" in the promotional info and all the puffery about the traditional and secret manufacturing process.

BonsaiMonk, however, is a reputable enough dealer in bonsai supplies. Personally, I'd pass on the stainless sets.

I did get a bit of chuckle reading through that. They may be good tools, but as I was reading the descriptions of their products, I half expect to read, "Blessed by the hands of a Shinto priest."
PeacefulAres
PeacefulAres

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:30 pm

From what I understand, Robert Steven sells Ryuga tools.

I'm quite happy with three Masakuni cutters in my grab bag of tools.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:24 pm

I do know that the Japanese have established some factories overseas but label their products, "made in Japan." The verdict on the Tinyroots brand is still out. I have a credit with the Monks, so maybe I will order a Tinyroots tool and render judgement.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Just Mike Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:43 pm

JimLewis wrote:From what I understand, Robert Steven sells Ryuga tools.

I'm quite happy with three Masakuni cutters in my grab bag of tools.

"Bonsai Aesthetics tools are selected and checked for quality by world famous bonsai artist Robert Steven. Made in China."

quote taken from the description on stonelantern site...

"Robert’s bonsai tools
Stone Lantern is the North American distributor for Robert’s enormously popular Bonsai Aesthetics tools and wire."

quote taken from bonsaibark site...

the ryuga tools are marketed through the joshua roth website...they also have there own...this is a quote from the ryuga website "RYUGA Bonsai Tools are produced by a subsidiary of YM Group, a very big manufacturing group in China producing
premium quality garden tools under OEM for Japan market. "

Just Mike
Just Mike

Back to top Go down

Post  rps Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:21 am

pure conjecture on my part, but i wonder if some [or all] of the many newly branded tools on the market [ryuga, bonsai aesthetics, tiny roots & stone lantern's house brand "roshi"] aren't coming out of the same factories on different production runs --- then stamped for the distributor sponsoring the run.
not unlike the 'no-name' and supermarket-affiliated soft drinks --- same factory/formula, different coloured can.

rps
rps

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:56 am

Good thought, and not unlikely, I suspect. After all, there's not THAT large a market for bonsai tools worldwide. Not enough, I'd think, to support too many factories.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:40 am

I ordered a Tinyroots shear from The Monks tonight, we shall see. I will be in China in April and Ryuga is one of the sponsors of the conference so I am sure there will be some of their tools there.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Just Mike Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:54 am

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:I ordered a Tinyroots shear from The Monks tonight, we shall see. I will be in China in April and Ryuga is one of the sponsors of the conference so I am sure there will be some of their tools there.

thank you...this is much appreciated
Just Mike
Just Mike

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down