Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Southwestern White Pine, Pinus strobiformis

+5
Robert Steven
buddhamonk
Twisted Trees
sunip
gregb
9 posters

Go down

Southwestern White Pine, Pinus strobiformis Empty Southwestern White Pine, Pinus strobiformis

Post  gregb Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:54 am

I guess it's about time I posted an image of this tree to this forum, although already many centuries old, I thought it might be timely since it took the cover of International Bonsai this month. This photo was taken in a show at the Japanese Garden in Portland, Oregon. May 2010, one month before the 2nd National Bonsai Exhibit in Rochester New York. I collected the accent to the right of the tree also--it's a rock penstemon

Southwestern White Pine, Pinus strobiformis Spring10

To see what happened next, check out the latest post on my blog: http://brendenstudio.wordpress.com

Last edited by gregb on Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:08 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mis-spelled Latin name)

gregb

Back to top Go down

Southwestern White Pine, Pinus strobiformis Empty Re: Southwestern White Pine, Pinus strobiformis

Post  Guest Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:21 pm

Thats a beautiful tree, although I haven't heard of this species being used a lot in bonsai culture.

Can you snap a picture of this tree rotated around 15deg clockwise (horizontally ofcourse). I have a feeling that a slight turn will reveal a better front so that the foliage appears closer to the trunkline and the long cascading trunk will also appear shorter. Also, I think the shari might be exposed more.

All in all its a beautiful tree... maybe, upgrade the look by wiring to define foliage pads.

Back to top Go down

Southwestern White Pine, Pinus strobiformis Empty Re: Southwestern White Pine, Pinus strobiformis

Post  sunip Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:30 pm

Hello.
This pine deserves a better picture i feel.
Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  Twisted Trees Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:43 pm

I saw this tree at the 2nd US exhibition as well as on the cover of the most recent International Bonsai magazine. A great tree. The article about it's misfortune while traveling to the show was interesting.
Twisted Trees
Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

Post  gregb Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:31 pm

sunip wrote:Hello.
This pine deserves a better picture i feel.
Sunip Wink

If you click on the link to my blog, there is a link there that takes you to the article in International Bonsai. There are several good shots of the tree at its best and also at its worst pale

gregb

Back to top Go down

Post  gregb Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:25 pm

I took this photo around this time last year. It can really push the growth if you leave it alone...

Southwestern White Pine, Pinus strobiformis 03410

Happy Holidays!

gregb

Back to top Go down

Post  buddhamonk Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:19 pm

C'mon you're not gonna show us a pic after its last restyle???

buddhamonk

Back to top Go down

Post  gregb Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:53 am

buddhamonk wrote:C'mon you're not gonna show us a pic after its last restyle???

Since you asked...

Southwestern White Pine, Pinus strobiformis 00910

This photo was taken the morning before re-styling. I had a special guest drop by for the occasion:

Southwestern White Pine, Pinus strobiformis 01410

Do you recognize these hands by now? They belong to Ryan Neil cheers

Southwestern White Pine, Pinus strobiformis 01510

And this is the result after three hours of wiring:

Southwestern White Pine, Pinus strobiformis 02010

I've got bonsai potter Ron Lang working on a special pot for this tree thumbs up

gregb

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:23 pm

Hello,
Now that are some pictures.
As i look at the last pictures, the tree shows a different angle then before at the National bonsai exhibit.
It is really holding on to that pot(rock), are you gonna give this emphasis in a new potting
or will the trunk be given some space in a more upward movement?
Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:42 pm

Indeed very nice, thanks for sharing..
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  peter keane Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:58 pm

nice piece! I wonder how cold-tolerant they are
peter keane
peter keane

Back to top Go down

Post  gregb Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:10 pm

sunip wrote:Hello,
Now that are some pictures.
As i look at the last pictures, the tree shows a different angle then before at the National bonsai exhibit.
It is really holding on to that pot(rock), are you gonna give this emphasis in a new potting
or will the trunk be given some space in a more upward movement?
Sunip Wink

I could write a book about the story of this tree Smile You picked up on something that happened quite by accident as a result of the 'trainwreck' that occurred in transit to the National Show. And it didn't have to do with the route there, rather, on the way back because of it being put in the back of the Ryder truck (one of the drivers told me they did this so they could keep a better eye on the tree) the tree bounced and jiggled over 3,000 miles and the trunk nearly fell out of the pot after its SECOND re-potting from the National Show. I tell you, I was so sorry for this tree when it was finally back in place from all that trauma, I didn't even go near it for fear I might do something stupid to jeopardize it even further. But to my amazement, the tree never really skipped a beat and continued to extend its candles. It adjusted to its new planted angle, which was now parallel to the pot and much more interesting than the hand of man had attempted so far. I figured the Universe was trying to tell me something in a not-so-subtle fashion and happily went along with this new development Idea

To answer your question about what will happen when we pot this up this spring, it will be up to how the new pot by Ron Lang fits with the tree, Ryan's sense for the way it should be and the tree itself. I never stick to a rigid plan when it comes to this--I always leave my mind open to the possibilities of what can happen during the PROCESS. Happy accidents are always more interesting than following instructions or a plan or a drawing like a cookbook.

gregb

Back to top Go down

Post  gregb Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:19 pm

peter keane wrote:nice piece! I wonder how cold-tolerant they are

This was one of a very few trees that survived my move from Arizona to Oregon; over 1,600 miles change in latitude. I lived in Hood River Oregon when I first arrived in OR and it sits smack in the middle of the Oregon Cascades. Winters are dramatically different from what they are here in Portland, just 65 miles east. The winter of 2009/2010 was especially brutal as there was a record amount of snowfall and cold weather. This tree only seemed to do better for it. Remember, it was collected from over 9,000', probably closer to 10,000'. The weather there was probably even harsher--look at the trunk. It pretty much tells the story of lots of bad weather. The amazing thing is how well it tolerates the almost constant rain we get here in Portland from November through June.

gregb

Back to top Go down

Post  gregb Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:23 pm

Robert Steven wrote:Indeed very nice, thanks for sharing..

Thanks Robert Smile

gregb

Back to top Go down

Post  peter keane Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:01 am

gregb wrote:
peter keane wrote:nice piece! I wonder how cold-tolerant they are

This was one of a very few trees that survived my move from Arizona to Oregon; over 1,600 miles change in latitude. I lived in Hood River Oregon when I first arrived in OR and it sits smack in the middle of the Oregon Cascades. Winters are dramatically different from what they are here in Portland, just 65 miles east. The winter of 2009/2010 was especially brutal as there was a record amount of snowfall and cold weather. This tree only seemed to do better for it. Remember, it was collected from over 9,000', probably closer to 10,000'. The weather there was probably even harsher--look at the trunk. It pretty much tells the story of lots of bad weather. The amazing thing is how well it tolerates the almost constant rain we get here in Portland from November through June.

I'd like to try it. I'm in zone 6a/6b. Thanks for the info:)
peter keane
peter keane

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:28 am

gregb wrote:)
- the tree bounced and jiggled over 3,000 miles and the trunk nearly fell out of the pot-
- It adjusted to its new planted angle, which was now parallel to the pot and much more interesting than the hand of man had attempted so
far. -
- I figured the Universe was trying to tell me something in a not-so-subtle fashion and happily went along with this new development Idea
- Happy accidents are always more interesting than following instructions or a plan or a drawing like a cookbook.

Hello,
Very interesting remarks.
Moving bonsai over greater distances is a strange (uneasy feeling) thing.
Sort of ongoing earthquake for a day or two for the tree.
Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  rockm Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:29 pm

Spectacular tree in what looks to be super health. Arizona native species aren't common in bonsai. Wish they were.

rockm

Back to top Go down

Post  augustine Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:01 pm

Gregb,

Beautiful tree! Is this species the same as Pinus Strobiformis or is it related? I could not determine through a brief web search.

Any culture or care tips? I am training a Strobiformis and happy to hear that the tree is doing well in the rainy weather.

Thank you and congratulations on your tree. Happy Holidays to all!

Best Regards,

Augustine
Pasadena, MD - zone 7A

augustine

Back to top Go down

Post  gregb Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:39 am

Augustine--thanks for catching that scratch The correct Latin name is Pinus strobiformis. I potted this tree in 100% pumice when I collected it in 2005 and watered it every day it wasn't raining. In the winter keep an eye on the tree as its water needs will be reduced and not necessary if temps. are near freezing or below. I fertilizer with a pelletized organic fertilizer, 5-4-4, which also has a mycorhizae innoculant. I also innoculated the tree when I first potted it with mycorhizae from Hollow Creek Farms. It worked really well as I found lots of mycelium colonizing the rootball when it came time for a bonsai pot in 2010.

This is all for care in the western U.S., I don't know if it applies to Maryland or not. You've got constant humidity year round and we have a dry period from July through September where it rains hardly at all, if ever. I think the good drainage the pumice provides, mycorhizea and organic fertilizer all combine for optimum health conditions for most pine species.

gregb

Back to top Go down

Post  augustine Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:12 pm

Gregb,

Thanks for the care info, there is not much info out there on P. Strobiformis. I haven't repotted the tree yet but plan to follow your recommendations. I wasn't aware of your dry period and you are correct about our humidity. I've read that Mr. Julian Adams, also on the East Coast, uses daconil on his JWP's and plan to follow suit.

The species is a beautiful tree and yours is very special.

Happy Holidays!

Best Regards,

Augustine,
Pasadena, MD - zone 7A

augustine

Back to top Go down

Post  gregb Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:46 am

The Daconil is good advice as all of our pines can be prone to fungal diseases, most notably needle-cast. My tree has an additional affliction--mistletoe, which I manage by rubbing the growth off when I see it. There are some that really fear mistletoe but I have never had a tree die because of it (that I know of) it is important to not let it grow rampant because as well as taking energy from the tree it causes unsightly swelling and bulging areas if infestations are left unchecked.

Did you collect your tree? Just wondering how one obtains one of these all the way over in Maryland confused

gregb

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveV. Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:32 pm

Very nice pine! I am partial to deciduous trees, however I am becoming more and more attracted to pines.

DaveV.

Back to top Go down

Post  augustine Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:39 pm

Gregb,

I read that P. strobiformis is a known and frequent host of mistletoe.

I bought the tree from Evergreengardenworks. Brent advertises it as tough, vigorous and a good backbudder. This cultivated tree has nice creamy white bark and beautiful blue needles, well grown with lots of branch choices including down low.

We have P. virginiana and I've collected two (on private property with permission). (We also have swell hornbeams.) May be able to find pitch pine not too far away but haven't done so yet.

Take good care,

Augustine

augustine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down