Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can I did this up during December?

5 posters

Go down

Can I did this up during December? Empty Can I did this up during December?

Post  smokeyjoe Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:57 am

Found this 40 year old Juniper in my In-Laws yard today,They are both in a nursing home and told me I could get this out of the yard before the State takes there Home,I would love to get this Juniper,it has great movement and a wonderful shape and trunk
Can I dig this up during the winter,"Location Alabama"
smokeyjoe
smokeyjoe

Back to top Go down

Can I did this up during December? Empty Re: Can I did this up during December?

Post  smokeyjoe Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:58 am

Can I did this up during December? Mom_an13
smokeyjoe
smokeyjoe

Back to top Go down

Post  smokeyjoe Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:00 am

Can I did this up during December? Mom_an14
smokeyjoe
smokeyjoe

Back to top Go down

Post  smokeyjoe Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:02 am

Can I did this up during December? Mom_an15
smokeyjoe
smokeyjoe

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:53 am

If I look at the climate for ala. I understand you do not get frost there in typical winters. I would personally have no trouble mving a plant if no frost is expected. What worries me more, is to collect this tree without any root preparation done to it. You run the risk of not being able to get feeder roots if you dig it out without proper preparation. I am sure more experienced members will have an idea of the successrate you can expect here..
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Murphy Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:52 pm

You'd be better off waiting until late January or February, if you could. If that isn't an option, then I'd collect it when you can. Post collection, you want to keep the root zone from freezing. Ideally, you'd be able to place it in a frost free greenhouse to spend the winter. If you have another location like a three season porch or other enclosure that will stay frost free, that would do as well.

Dave Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:28 pm

Douglasville seems to be near Atlanta. You do get freezing weather there. Unless you are a very experienced digger of bonsai and maintainer of freshly dug bonsai, you will do much better waiting until early spring.

A plant that old will have an extensive rootball so, again, unless you are experienced, you will want to get as large a rootball as you can handle. After digging in the spring, I think you'll want to bareroot the plant (use a hose to wash off the soil) and put it immediately into a large pot -- in bonsai soil mixed evenly throughout the roots. One of those black plastic tubs sold at Home depot in the garden section might be idea.

Good luck, and have fun.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  appalachianOwl Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:42 pm

When is the last time you'll have access?
appalachianOwl
appalachianOwl

Back to top Go down

Post  smokeyjoe Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:06 pm

appalachianOwl wrote:When is the last time you'll have access?
Im going to try and hold out till last part of January before I did this up,Would you guys suggest using Sphagnum moss in the large pot when I do dig it up?Still learning
smokeyjoe
smokeyjoe

Back to top Go down

Post  appalachianOwl Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:20 pm

stumbled on this thread whit some info on the subject https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t4234-fall-collection-of-yamadori

Similar situation, dug a juniper rather violently (did not know what i know know haha) from a buddy's garden around this time last year and it's thriving, going to give it another season to recover before any work is done. Got a good bit of roots and kept it safe from frost.
appalachianOwl
appalachianOwl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down