Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nerifolia in new pot

+27
hiram
rock
John Quinn
Rob Addonizio
gm.it.seacom
Budi Sulistyo
hibonsai
Klaudia & Martin
Rob Kempinski
bobby little
leonardo
Russell Coker
Rick Moquin
Velodog2
Dale Cochoy
Dustin Mann
jrodriguez
TpaBayFlyFisher
Nik Rozman
cosmos
Tom Simonyi
Justin Hervey
Hans Vleugels
redvw5
Michael DeCan
Jerry Meislik
Ed Trout
31 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Nerifolia in new pot - Page 2 Empty Re: Nerifolia in new pot

Post  Klaudia & Martin Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:12 am

Very nice pot.......
.....so here we go... Very Happy

[img]Nerifolia in new pot - Page 2 Nerifo10[/img]
Klaudia & Martin
Klaudia & Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dale Cochoy Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:36 pm

Ed Trout wrote: As for a different pot, I should have posted the size of this tree, since the photo doesn't really show it well. The new pot is 22 inches by 16 inches by 2.5 iches deep. The tree itself is 19 inches tall, by 28 inches wide, by 20 inches in depth. The trunk is approx 12 inches wide at the base. The pot that Dale shows would be absolutely perfect ! Dale, do you have anything this size ? That's a beauty !

The tree has already leafed back out, and is currently in it's "gold/light green" stage. I will try to get a photo tonight when I get home & post it for those who asked.

Ed Trout Pembroke Pines, Florida USA

Wow! That picture was deceiving Ed! Shocked
I'd have to work on that one, definitely not a stock pot! Very Happy

I just took this shot for you.

Here is my largest nerifolia in a simple Tokoname pot that measures 21" across. Perhaps still available if you check their site. However, I'm sure chinese would be cheaper and wouldn't matter winter-wise in Ft. Lauderdale. My teacher, Keith Scott, got this for me about 1985.

BTW Ed, I got this pretty rough from Gerald Corbeil at the Ft. Lauderdale BSF convention about 11 years ago, my 2nd Florida BSF vend gig. It was in a 1" deep tray! Shocked A year or so later Mary Miller was here and we removed a huge center trunk that is STILL healing here in Ohio! You KNOW how this weather is in Akron! Very Happy

Dale

Nerifolia in new pot - Page 2 Wlf80910
Dale Cochoy
Dale Cochoy

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:18 pm

Hey Dale,

That's interesting. My pot came from Keith too! I bought it on my first trip to Rochester in 1988, probably the same time I met you. I had just started back to college and really couldn't afford it, but it was one of my favorites and was mad at myself for not buying it in Japan. It is an expensive, high quality pot (Seizan, Shuhou, Reihou or someone like that, I can't remember now) and I figured I'd probably never see it for sale here. Keith said he bought it at Tokoname and it had been under his bed for years. I'm glad I was talking with my father long distance when I got the call about what that check was for, none of that seemed to interest him!

Klaudia and Martin, thanks for the virtual. I could live with it in that pot!

Russell
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  hibonsai Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:52 pm

I think the trees awesome! How did you get it such a taper and ramification? As for the pot, something about the color doesn't seem right, but it's okay.

Mike

hibonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Ed Trout Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:38 pm

I promised I would post a photo of this tree with leaves. Well the weather here has turned nasty, and it has been raining constantly due to a tropical depression moving this way. But I took the attached photo during a quick lull in the rain. I apologize for the lack of a background, but didn't have time for that. This photo shows the "gold" leaf phase....some not even out yet. In a very few days with this rain & heat, the leaves will quickly go thru their light green stage & then to the darker green final. I have come to the conclusion, thanks to the wonderful comments on this thread that the current pot does not work. I will work this weekend on a new alternative, and post a good photo for your thoughts. I am also posting a photo of this tree before it was cut down to it's final line. I will also try to respond to all the great comments and suggestions. Sharing our ideas & thoughts is how we all grow in the art of bonsai !

Ed Trout Pembroke Pines, Florida USANerifolia in new pot - Page 2 Goldph10

Ed Trout

Back to top Go down

Post  Ed Trout Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:32 am

This is a photo of this tree just after the first reduction & right before it was cut hard to my line.

Ed TroutNerifolia in new pot - Page 2 Copy_211

Ed Trout

Back to top Go down

Post  Budi Sulistyo Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:31 am

Hi Ed,

A very nice tree on a suitable pot. Congratulations.

Budi
Budi Sulistyo
Budi Sulistyo

Back to top Go down

Post  gm.it.seacom Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:36 pm

great bonsai man,the nebari and the taper is great ,the rectangular pot looks great,i would advice a glaze less pot with sight depth considering the massiveness of the tree
gm.it.seacom
gm.it.seacom

Back to top Go down

Post  gm.it.seacom Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:37 pm

please post pics of the stages if u have them..thanks for sharing
gm.it.seacom
gm.it.seacom

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Addonizio Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:41 pm

Ed,
This thread has been very interesting and I look forward to seeing the final pot that will suit your tree.

I am in the process of drying a large (18") oval for a similar ficus of mine, and I am thinking of a dark brown purse style with tan/cream highlights. I will post it here when it is finished.

BTW, beautiful styling; your trees represent you well!
Rob Addonizio
Rob Addonizio

Back to top Go down

Post  Ed Trout Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:08 pm

Budi,
Thank you for your kind comment. I'm honored that you like the tree.

Rob,

I look forward to seeing the pot you're making. I'm sorry I missed purchasing one of your beautiful containers at the Brevard meeting last month. I was so busy getting to everyone's trees at the workshop that I didn't get a chance to get back to your booth. Next time !! I have a lot of empty pots in my collection, and have a couple that I'm going to put under this tree & photograph. I'll post them this weekend. Would appreciate your thoughts.

Ed Trout

Ed Trout

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:25 pm

Fantastic tree and some good pot ideas...here's another.
Nerifolia in new pot - Page 2 Neripo10
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  rock Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:15 pm

hello Mr. Ed Trout:

Absolutely love your work, very stunning ficus work beautiful! I have given it a slight turn counterclockwise 5% and reglazed your pot. Just for fun.

But of course, just absolutely love it as is. Thanks for showingNerifolia in new pot - Page 2 Nerifo14
rock
rock

Back to top Go down

Nerifolia in new pot - Page 2 Empty new pot

Post  hiram Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:54 pm

hi Ed,

I was honored to be in the company of your tree and of you. Give this tree and pot sometime and you will see how they go together. I've seen this combination before and looks awesome. Great tree for a great bonsai artist.

Looking forward to getting together again.

Your friend,

Hiram
hiram
hiram

Back to top Go down

Post  Dale Cochoy Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:53 am

I'm not sure if this picture will fit, but, possibly a mixture of plain and color?
Dale

Nerifolia in new pot - Page 2 Shino_10
Dale Cochoy
Dale Cochoy

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Addonizio Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:23 am

That glaze works good, IMHO. I like the cream and brown together.
Rob Addonizio
Rob Addonizio

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:26 pm

I really like the colors in this pot too. Seems to work really well with all of the color phases of this Ficus.

And I have to say that after looking at Klaudia and Martin's virtual of my pot a few times I really like this tree in an oval pot better. If it were mine I'd be looking for a shallow oval with a lip like the pot it is in now.

Ed, we all want to see more pictures of the development of this tree!

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:18 pm

Here's a virt with Dale's pot

Nerifolia in new pot - Page 2 Dalepo10
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  Dale Cochoy Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:28 pm

Thanks John. I like that image. thumbs up
I DO however think the overall effect would be better and match tree better if the bottom shading would be dark brown instead of black? Something easy to do.

Dale
Dale Cochoy
Dale Cochoy

Back to top Go down

Post  Velodog2 Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:50 pm

Geez i dunno, I'm not feeling it yet. All of these pots being suggested look to me to be too small (even smaller than the current!) making the nebari look cramped, and too flashy competing with the tree for attention. It seems a simple, low, large, dark oval maybe with a small belt and lip would be all this tree needs to frame it. Frankly, Rock's virtual with the current pot recolored darker comes closest to my concept, but it's still a little too small, and still too glossy.
Mike

Velodog2

Back to top Go down

Post  luciano benyakob Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:08 pm

luciano benyakob
luciano benyakob

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Addonizio Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:31 am

Ed,
Although this is not the original glaze color I was referring to earlier, I think this style pot would be great for you tree.

Would anyone have a comment or a virt?

Nerifolia in new pot - Page 2 2009-134
Rob Addonizio
Rob Addonizio

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:14 am

Here's a quickie

Nerifolia in new pot - Page 2 Robpot10
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Addonizio Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:47 am

Thanks John. I really envy you guys with your quick virts!

I would love to see my nerifolia in this pot. Perhaps I will have to make a few more.
Rob Addonizio
Rob Addonizio

Back to top Go down

Post  Ed Trout Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:56 pm

This has been a great thread, and I want to thank everyone for their advise & suggestions & comments. I spent yesterday looking thru my own pot collection, and Miami Tropical Bonsai's selection, and finally decided to put this tree back into the pot it came out of before the glazed green one. First I'd like to post a photo for those who asked showing the tree about 8 months after the major cut to my line. Some branches are beginning to form.

Ed Nerifolia in new pot - Page 2 Dsc_0010

Ed Trout

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next