Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to remove algae from mature bark?

+2
bonsaisr
Lee Brindley
6 posters

Go down

How to remove algae from mature bark? Empty How to remove algae from mature bark?

Post  Lee Brindley Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:54 pm

I collected this little yamadori hawthorn early this year and at the time it had lovely silver bark. Now its turned green and I am worried that if I try to clean it off, I will damage the mature bark platlets. Any ideas?
Thanks, Lee.

How to remove algae from mature bark? 006cqe

Last edited by Lee Brindley on Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lee Brindley
Lee Brindley

Back to top Go down

How to remove algae from mature bark? Empty How to remove algae

Post  bonsaisr Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:58 pm

Some people spray with dilute vinegar. Best solution, give it more sun.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

How to remove algae from mature bark? Empty Re: How to remove algae from mature bark?

Post  JimLewis Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:56 pm

Agree with Iris. Also, water the roots, not the tree. That's likely moss, not algae.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

How to remove algae from mature bark? Empty Re: How to remove algae from mature bark?

Post  Fore Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:35 pm

Yeah, vinegar brushed on, and then let sit in the sun will do the trick. May need to be repeated.
Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

Post  Rui Marques Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:48 pm

Does this hawthorn have his own thread?

If not, please create one. I would like to see the entire tree.
Rui Marques
Rui Marques

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Brindley Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:06 pm

Thanks for the replies. Its been pretty dull and damp here this year, so no surprise.

Rui Marques wrote:Does this hawthorn have his own thread?

If not, please create one. I would like to see the entire tree.

Thanks for the interest Rui. Its a nice bit of material, but I don't think its really worthy of its own thread yet though.

How to remove algae from mature bark? 005fau
Lee Brindley
Lee Brindley

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:04 pm

hi,
i know we've had a very wet year but your soil is staying way too wet and soggy - all the liverwort on the surface shows very poor drainage and equally poor aeration. This will be making a very humid atmosphere around the tree, hence the green trunk - chances are root growth will currently be poor below the surface too - liverwort is the instant obvious indicator to bad pot conditions.

sorting the symptoms will make life easier - better pot, more exposure to sun, better soil & thetree will not go so green - dilute lime sulphar spray will kill off the trunk algae too, and bring back a silver look.

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Fore Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:24 pm

Marcus, I'm going to spray a 20% LS solution on my trees before putting them away. I've never used LS like this before, so I'm asking, will this turn my deep dark brown bark on a JBP silver? If so, does the dark color return by spring?
Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:30 pm

Fore wrote:Marcus, I'm going to spray a 20% LS solution on my trees before putting them away. I've never used LS like this before, so I'm asking, will this turn my deep dark brown bark on a JBP silver? If so, does the dark color return by spring?

Hi - use a weaker solution for winter spraying - 30:1 is plenty (5:1 will whiten the tree quite considerably). Totally cover the soil before starting and dont get any on evergreen foliage at all - i only use ls spray on my deciduous trees to be honest so i'm not to sure about pines & junipers - go very carefull

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Rui Marques Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:36 pm

Lee Brindley wrote: Its a nice bit of material, but I don't think its really worthy of its own thread yet though

I think it's worthy !!
Rui Marques
Rui Marques

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down