Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bald Cypress

5 posters

Go down

Bald Cypress Empty Bald Cypress

Post  bonsaikat Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:25 pm

I'm new to Bonsai and I bought three small bald cypress. I repotted them in a pot together. I want them to get bigger. Should I put each in a bigger pot? And do the bald cypress do better in excess water?
bonsaikat
bonsaikat

Back to top Go down

Bald Cypress Empty Re: Bald Cypress

Post  GašperG Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:25 pm

Generally you should prepare the roots of each tree separately (to give them space) but if the training pot is big enough and trees are well apart, that 's ok. - that way you will get them bigger and fatter.
I know they are thirsty and do like to stand in water but that is only what i have read on this forum...they are not my natural habitat...
There will be more advice from members that know how to work with bald cypresses.
GašperG
GašperG

Back to top Go down

Post  Zach Smith Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:19 am

They will stay small in pots, no matter how big the pots. Plant in the ground, wait several years and you should have the trunk size you need to start a bonsai (we're talking a minimum of three inches trunk diameter). They like plenty of sun and water, so keep them well watered (and fed). If you have a continually wet spot you can plant there, they don't mind having their feet wet.

Good luck!

Zach

Zach Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  nickalpin Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:04 pm

Be careful which time of year you repot/do root work. Here in FL we repot in February, our 'winter'. I've killed a few bald cypress repotting during the wrong time of year. Depending on your zone, stick them in the ground and watch them take off. Or, get the biggest nursery pots you can handle and stick them in separate pots.

nickalpin

Back to top Go down

Post  bucknbonsai Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:43 am

john geanangel has most luck with collected cypress when done during the warm time of the year. he believes that root work when there could still be very cold temps (late spring frosts etc...) can lead to death. He has told me hes aware of people in florida doing rootwork in winter and getting away with it but has FAR more success in zone 8 and colder when done june and july (as long as the tree is defoliated) This July in zone 6/7 i transplanted over 30 bald cypress ranging from 1/2 inch to 5 inches in diameter and I removed all roots except for literally a couple hair roots, defoliated them and placed them in full sun in moist mix and every single one thrived. The bigger ones had more than a few hair roots but it was still something like 80 % of the roots were cut off. They can almost be treated like a cutting when the soil is warm.
bucknbonsai
bucknbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  nickalpin Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:52 pm

I'd love to find out if anyone in FL has tried collecting/doing root work during summer, whether they were successful and to what degree. I asked Guy Guidry about this very topic and he said no way, he doesn't collect outside of winter months.

nickalpin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down