Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Against all odds in only three years my Myrtle is ready to show

+5
Carolee
coh
Todd Ellis
MikeG
Stan Kengai
9 posters

Go down

Against all odds in only three years my Myrtle is ready to show Empty Against all odds in only three years my Myrtle is ready to show

Post  Guest Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:39 pm

It seemed like an opportunity too good to miss, an old tree with a wonderful trunk that could eventually be a great ‘mother and child’ bonsai, and the price was not expensive, problem was it was a Myrtle Communis. It came from a Mediterranean climate that was sunny, warm and dry for most of the year, I live in the North of England where it is cloudy, wet and cold for most of the year. The previous year I had experimented with a Majorcan Olive from Angel Mota and against all odds it actually did quite well. Should I part with my hard earned cash? Should I risk working with material that (as far as I knew) nobody in the UK had worked before? Should I take a risk? Three years later and the results speak for themselves. The rest of the story is here

What I started with in 2009

Against all odds in only three years my Myrtle is ready to show First_10

How it looks today
Against all odds in only three years my Myrtle is ready to show Myrtle10

Back to top Go down

Against all odds in only three years my Myrtle is ready to show Empty Re: Against all odds in only three years my Myrtle is ready to show

Post  Stan Kengai Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:56 pm

Against all odds! Thanks Tony, now I have your fellow countryman Phil Collins stuck in my head Razz

Great work. Amazing what you've done in 3 years. Thank you for sharing and inspiring.

Stan Kengai

Back to top Go down

Against all odds in only three years my Myrtle is ready to show Empty Re: Against all odds in only three years my Myrtle is ready to show

Post  MikeG Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:56 pm

3 years? Wonderful. And with a species you weren't even sure would do well in your climate. Great job.
MikeG
MikeG

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:19 pm

I'm impressed. That's quite a looker! Nice job!
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:50 pm

Well, what fun is life without a few risks? This one paid off...very nice transformation in 3 years.
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Carolee Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:39 pm

Impressive as always. I'm only a novice, and I'm curious about your choice of a light grey (?) pot. I would have thought something brown/tan? Thanks.
Carolee
Carolee

Back to top Go down

Post  geepee Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:59 pm

Tony, I have a woody myrtle purchased from Steve Tolley about three years ago (it may have been imported at the same time as yours). It has made a nice lot of foliage at the end of this summer when the weather became warm enough and although still outside today, I shall bring it in soon. Is it best to give it a rest during the winter months at about 16-18C or should I continue to feed occasionally to maximise growth?

geepee

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:36 pm

Carolee wrote:Impressive as always. I'm only a novice, and I'm curious about your choice of a light grey (?) pot. I would have thought something brown/tan? Thanks.

Must be your monitor as the pot is actually a 'lilac' colour, its by John Pitt

GeePee. mine has been in the glass house for the last two months. I have just given a dressing of bonemeal. The tree stays in Glasshouse right up to May... it can get of 0c in there

Back to top Go down

Post  geepee Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:12 pm

Thanks, Tony. I could put mine in my glass greenhouse (like you, only down to 0C) although in past years I have put it into a cool room with reasonably good winter light. I believe these came from Sicily where on the higher ground it can get quite cold. I am of the opinion that 'dry' cold (but not freezing) would do them no harm.

geepee

Back to top Go down

Post  Fore Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:18 pm

Very nice progression Tony in just 3 short yrs! Very nice job!
Why do you put bonemeal on before winter? The plant is going to be dormant and am just wondering...
Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:53 pm

Fore wrote:Very nice progression Tony in just 3 short yrs! Very nice job!
Why do you put bonemeal on before winter? The plant is going to be dormant and am just wondering...

This tree continues to grow well into December and bonemeal is a gentle feed in prep for the dormant period.

GeePee yeh... Not freezing but cold is fine, as we have had some very cold snaps the sat couple of winters

NOT sure that they are from Sicily... But they are Italian I know that for sure

Back to top Go down

Post  giomach Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:27 pm

Hi Tony,
I don't want to take away from you the credit for keeping the tree in good health which you obviously did but myrtus is quite a hardy species and in fact in my neck of the woods popular as a houseplant - people (not bonsai folk) grow it in their flats or houses all year long the same way as any houseplant, so it doesn't surprise me that it thrives in England at all. None the less, you did a fine job and I enjoy looking at it. I take it it's a rather small plant, what's its height? All the best! /a

giomach

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:09 pm

For what it is worth, I have myrtus communis naturally growing at my farmland which are resistant to -4C (note that it's a humid terrain and median temp. is 18C yearly)
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down