Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

very small beatles or spiders not sure what they are???

+3
fiona
Jkd2572
Ahuehuete
7 posters

Go down

very small beatles or spiders not sure what they are??? Empty very small beatles or spiders not sure what they are???

Post  Ahuehuete Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:09 pm

Hi everyone I have a plague I hope you can help me!!
today I noticed a have a plage of some sort of insects. I don't know what they are, but I guess they will bring problems.

I have been making compost, but today I noticed, all my compost was full of insects.
they are really small and orange/red and seem to be like beatles or spiders. not sure!

there were some fruit mosquitos sourrounding my compost but I notice that some had problems to fly, I looked at them carefully and saw that these insects ride fruit mosquitos, I guess they use them to travel.

can you help with the name? how can I prevent a new infection?
how can I get rid of them?? I would prefer a organic insectice, if possible
shoul I get rid of my compost?

thank you a lot!!!!!

Ahuehuete

Back to top Go down

very small beatles or spiders not sure what they are??? Empty Re: very small beatles or spiders not sure what they are???

Post  Jkd2572 Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:18 pm

Can you post a pic?

Jkd2572

Back to top Go down

very small beatles or spiders not sure what they are??? Empty Re: very small beatles or spiders not sure what they are???

Post  fiona Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:38 pm

very small beatles or spiders not sure what they are??? Beatle11
Very small beatles.

Sorry, couldn't resist. But a proper pic would be good.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Jkd2572 Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:03 am

Your hilarious!

Jkd2572

Back to top Go down

Post  -keith- Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:25 am

LOL looks to be a hairy british species ... i would lean towards spider mites, they are orange/red, i have seen large colonies of them and seen them hitching rides on flies.
i have heard they are bad ,but really do not know what they do to get that reputation
-keith-
-keith-

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:47 pm

Whatever they are, their presence undoubtedly means that your compost isn't getting hot enough to start the organic material decaying properly. Maybe it isn't damp enough, or isn't deep enough.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

very small beatles or spiders not sure what they are??? Empty photo of the insect

Post  Ahuehuete Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:53 pm

I'm sorry for the delay, but I had to get a HD cam because I couldn't get a good photo with my cam. they are really small.

In these photos they may look like the insects that roses have, but they are not. besides they move faster .
these are the photos. I tried to get them as clear as possible.

very small beatles or spiders not sure what they are??? Img_0111

very small beatles or spiders not sure what they are??? Img_0110

Ahuehuete

Back to top Go down

Post  Rubarb Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:15 pm

Looks like spider mites (they do come in colours other than the normal red/orage) or even maybe Cinara aphid? but thats more common on conifers.

Hope this link helps you:

How to get rid of spider mites
Rubarb
Rubarb

Back to top Go down

Post  -keith- Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:18 pm

i dont think they are spider mites their body structure is not correct, it does look very much like aphids or maybe a wingless female nat of somesort
-keith-
-keith-

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakaki Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:55 am

JimLewis wrote:Whatever they are, their presence undoubtedly means that your compost isn't getting hot enough to start the organic material decaying properly. Maybe it isn't damp enough, or isn't deep enough.

I agree with Jim! And it seems that they are not spider mites.
I use and make compost, and know that there are several bugs, bacterias, flies, fruit flies, mold mites, fungis, etc. (some of them are visible, some of are animalcule that can only be seen with a microscope) which actually helps you to make compost. The population of such big bugs and flies are high especially if your compost is too wet, not hot & not getting sun enough, and has a poor ventilation.
So that means your compost is not ready. Nevertheless, most of these organisms are not threat for your plants, but you!

I suggest you to feed your mixture with dry materials like wood chips (to reduce excessive wetness) and a little amount of nitrogen (to increase heat).
I dont know if these are the cases for your mixture, but I think that your compost is not ready yet.

P.S.: These are my observations & experiences in making my composts! Also, if you use worms in your compost be careful with the amount of nitrogen to be added. Worms are very sensitive to nitrogen!

Good luck.
Sakaki
Sakaki

Back to top Go down

very small beatles or spiders not sure what they are??? Empty they are spider mites!!

Post  Ahuehuete Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:28 pm

Hi I googled in the insects you told and I found out that I have a plague of spider mites.

I found a recepy to make a ecologic insecticide in one of my books. It is out of garlich, onion and chillis.

do you have another recepy you'd like to share???

or maybe another way to get rid of them??

thank you!!!!!!!

Ahuehuete

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:45 pm

It was hard to see but I don't think your pictures had 8 legs -- which spider mites have.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakaki Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:09 pm

JimLewis wrote:It was hard to see but I don't think your pictures had 8 legs -- which spider mites have.

Such long antennas also!?
Sakaki
Sakaki

Back to top Go down

very small beatles or spiders not sure what they are??? Empty they are spider mites!!

Post  Ahuehuete Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:19 pm

They do have 8 legs.
I counted the legs, it was hard because they move fast.
I know in the pictures they look different but it is really difficult to get a good picture.

they have some sort of antennas, but I'm not sure if they are antennas or legs.

advices to get rid of them???

Ahuehuete

Back to top Go down

Post  Rubarb Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:29 am

These days most pesticides will kill a targeted a problem and 200 other ones at the same time so my advice is look for one that says spider mites/ aphids

should do the job
Rubarb
Rubarb

Back to top Go down

very small beatles or spiders not sure what they are??? Empty will my composte be safe if I use the pesticide ??

Post  Ahuehuete Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:14 am

Rubarb wrote:These days most pesticides will kill a targeted a problem and 200 other ones at the same time so my advice is look for one that says spider mites/ aphids

should do the job

will my composte be safe if I use the pesticide ??
I mean the pesticide will destroy the insects and my compost or just the insects???

Ahuehuete

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakaki Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:38 am

Ahuehuete wrote:will my composte be safe if I use the pesticide ??
I mean the pesticide will destroy the insects and my compost or just the insects???

Sakaki wrote:
I use and make compost, and know that there are several bugs, bacterias, flies, fruit flies, mold mites, fungis, etc. (some of them are visible, some of are animalcule that can only be seen with a microscope) which actually helps you to make compost. The population of such big bugs and flies are high especially if your compost is too wet, not hot & not getting sun enough, and has a poor ventilation.
So, that means your compost is not ready.

I suggest you to feed your mixture with dry materials like wood chips (to reduce excessive wetness) and a little amount of nitrogen (to increase heat).
I dont know if these are the cases for your mixture, but I think that your compost is not ready yet.

P.S.: These are my observations & experiences in making my composts! Also, if you use worms in your compost be careful with the amount of nitrogen to be added. Worms are very sensitive to nitrogen!

Also: Using pecticides/insecticides on your compoast at this stage is not a good idea imho.

Good luck.

Sakaki
Sakaki

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:42 pm

HOWEVER, it sounds as if the critters are in the soil and NOT on any trees. If so, I doubt that you need to "get rid " of them in any way other than improving the soil. Using poisons should always be the LAST resort.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down