Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TX Sage (Leucophyllum frutescens) transplant survival rate?

+4
Khaimraj Seepersad
JMcCoy
-keith-
Poink88
8 posters

Go down

TX Sage (Leucophyllum frutescens) transplant survival rate? Empty TX Sage (Leucophyllum frutescens) transplant survival rate?

Post  Poink88 Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:53 am

What is the expected survival rate of TX Sage after it was yanked out of the ground (w/ barely any fine roots left)?

I chanced a landscaping crew today about to dispose several mature TX Sage (hedge) that they yanked off the ground w/ chains Sad . I asked if I can have them and they allowed me. I believe they just finished uprooting them an hour or 2 before I got there. My main concern now is if they even have a chance of surviving after that treatment. Anything I can do to help increase their chances?

Any input will be much appreciated.

EDIT IN: Here are pics of some of them (I got 19 total Very Happy).
TX Sage (Leucophyllum frutescens) transplant survival rate? P1130647
TX Sage (Leucophyllum frutescens) transplant survival rate? P1130654
TX Sage (Leucophyllum frutescens) transplant survival rate? P1130655
TX Sage (Leucophyllum frutescens) transplant survival rate? P1130659
TX Sage (Leucophyllum frutescens) transplant survival rate? P1130660
TX Sage (Leucophyllum frutescens) transplant survival rate? P1130661
TX Sage (Leucophyllum frutescens) transplant survival rate? P1130662

Thank you! cheers

Last edited by Poink88 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

TX Sage (Leucophyllum frutescens) transplant survival rate? Empty Re: TX Sage (Leucophyllum frutescens) transplant survival rate?

Post  -keith- Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:05 am

it all depends what kind of winter you have in texas,i would imagine a warm one . in new york it would be a death sentance seeing snow is on its way,but you may be ok if the growing season continues for you
rooting hormone and some kind of "superthrive" type treatment is what i would do ...and some finger crossing .plants can be amazing with their resiliancy
-keith-
-keith-

Back to top Go down

TX Sage (Leucophyllum frutescens) transplant survival rate? Empty Re: TX Sage (Leucophyllum frutescens) transplant survival rate?

Post  JMcCoy Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:27 am

We probably have another month or two of growing season here, gradually slowing. Since it's going to be cooler and (hopefully) wetter, the Sage may have a chance to establish some roots before winter. My only experience with the species is that they don't seem to like their roots messed with too much at collection time. So I'd say survival rate would be very slim. But I know there are others who have found them easier to collect. Hopefully you'll get some additional info from those folks. Good luck with those!
JMcCoy
JMcCoy

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:02 am

Dario,

Shade, clear plastic bag, opened as often as you think to keep the humidity up but not problematic, and rooting hormone.
You might try as well as the powder and the liquid form thinned with water, wateried in once in a while.
Treat as giant cutting and do visit your local church with a novena or two.

If it takes, baby for a year or two.
Later.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:12 pm

Thanks guys.

Joey, You are right about winter coming so I hope it grow some roots before then. I heard the same but not sure if it was from you.

Khaimraj, I will look for bigger clear plastic bags later today. I treated them all with liquid rooting hormone and I will repeat it every week as you suggested.

I hope a few of them take. I don't have pics yet but some of these may be among the best plants I have right now. I actually have to leave a few that are covered with big tree trunks. That, and they are already loading the debris so I have to move quick and be out of their way. Good thing I always have my "emergency kit" to trim the bushes. Very Happy

I got this response from Gary Wood on another forum (B-Nut) after asking exact same question. "Dario, I've had very good luck with them. They issue abundant new roots through the flaky bark when planted a little deep after collecting or transplanting. Surprisingly, as long as the soil is free draining, they do well with typical bonsai watering practice." I hope my experience would be same as his.

Thank you! cheers
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:54 pm

Dario,

I hope they catch as we say down here.
I have a few very small Texas sages and even though they are no where near pre-bonsai stage, they are very satisfying to grow, and the flowers are really beautiful.
Wishing you the best of all.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:32 pm

As Joey always tell me...we do what we can. If they survive, great, if not...at least we gave them a fighting chance, no matter how slim. It has lots of things going against it....wrong season, the way they were yanked, etc. I try to be realistic but still hope & believe that somehow, some will make it. Smile
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:16 pm

Pics added at OP. Smile
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Doiron Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:44 pm

Some great material, hope they do well for you.
Jim Doiron
Jim Doiron

Back to top Go down

Post  JMcCoy Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:45 pm

A-W-E-S-O-M-E trunks!!!! I sure hope that they make it, and with 19 (nineteen?!? OMG) maybe some will survive. LOL Dario.. I thought you were stuffed to the gills before. Great find!!!
JMcCoy
JMcCoy

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:27 am

Joey,

I miscounted...I actually have 20 Very Happy It was originally less than that but when I got home...I managed to separate some of them. One became 3 trees and a couple became 2 each. A few are also smaller. I don't know how I packed it in my car with my wife and daughter with me. But there are a few more nice ones that I have to leave behind since they started loading the debris.

It was sheer luck, instead of going home from a doctors visit, we decided to check a store we never visited before and passed the route (one of many, many possible ones I could have taken). My wife got surprised (spooked even) when I did a quick right turn when I glimpsed the yanked plants in the parking lot (and a few trucks) LOL.

I really pray a few of these make it. They are now covered with plastic. Very little chance of getting "cooked" now since most are under the shelving plus weather is mild now.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Jkd2572 Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:13 am

Be careful putting clear plastic over them. I had a fence stained in late September one year. They put clear plastic over my Shrubs. It fried their leaves. Thank god the came back. We're both in Texas. Think inside your car when you first get in with the widows rolled up. Too hot!

Jkd2572

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:21 am

It is supposed to be clear plastic --- in the shade or bright light --- no sunlight and you are supposed to observe for excesses of moisture.
Think terrarium - http://extension.missouri.edu/p/g6520

Later.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:10 pm

Jkd2572 wrote:Be careful putting clear plastic over them.
I agree. I did cut openings/vents at the top. Most of them are covered but some are exposed and will be revisited. Luckily our local weather for next 2 weeks is mostly cloudy with drizzles and forecast highs of mid-80's.

I actually placed the plastics more to prevent over watering due to the automatic sprinkler system (community wide controlled) and the expected rains for now. Some of these have more organics since I only have a bag and a half of Turface plus 2 cu ft or pine bark and had to "extend" it.

The openings/vents are good and bad so I had to compromise and find (what I believe is) a good balance.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:21 pm

JMcCoy wrote:But I know there are others who have found them easier to collect. Hopefully you'll get some additional info from those folks.
Joey,

Would you know anyone in our club who might have some experience I can consult tonight? Might be tough with the auction going but I would love to get some pointers if possible. I would appreciate it if you can hook me up! Wink

Thanks!
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  JMcCoy Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:49 pm

Come on down and we'll ask around!
JMcCoy
JMcCoy

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:55 pm

Dario, I saw your PM. I can't really help too much as I've only had 2 medium size trees for a year or so. However, they like well draining soil and not too much water.

Mine are starting to flower again.

The trunks you have amassed can be spectacular if they make it. Good luck.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:21 pm

Thanks Rob!

It seems info about this plant (in relation to bonsai), is very limited. Your thread about it actually comes up on the very top in google search! Still looking for more advise and hopefully, I can find one in our local bonsai club tonight.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:51 am

Really interesting trunks! I hope they survive. Maybe you can throw one in the car for me when you make that next trip to NY...
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:36 am

Dario,

just in case you didn't see this -

http://www.phoenixbonsai.com/LeroysTrees.html

You could ask over there.
I found this some time back when I was looking into Texas sage as a possible Bonsai victim.
Later.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:31 pm

Most of these plants have buds already, very likely they are stored energy growth though. Still good sign and I hope the plants can keep them.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:37 pm

Poink88 wrote:They are now covered with plastic.
Lessons learned #1. I decided to remove the plastic after a couple of days...it seems it is doing more harm than good since all the leaves in contact with the wet plastic (accumulated water vapor) are wilting and rotting. Not cooked by heat since the same happened to those under total shade.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:02 am

Dario,

if you had read up on the terrarium bit or at least about the use of plastic and plants, you would have seen that some sort of frame to rest the plastic on was needed, to prevent exactly what happened to you.
Sigh, please don't blame the plastic idea, it works and works very well.

I had a friend back in the late 80's use a plastic sheet green house to save all of his collected with no or little of root trees. Everyone else who tried, without the plastic, lost everything.

Anyhow, I heading back out to work, so I wish you all the best and see you either in Spring or around September 2013.
Stay Well and best to your plants and efforts.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:57 pm

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:if you had read up on the terrarium bit or at least about the use of plastic and plants, you would have seen that some sort of frame to rest the plastic on was needed, to prevent exactly what happened to you.
Sigh, please don't blame the plastic idea, it works and works very well.
Not blaming the plastic idea...it just didn't work with TX Sage. I've used it on lots of plants and know it works best with frames but I neither have space nor supplies to do it for 20 plants. I made do with what I have. I actually believe the practice saved my big collected azalea (no frame). The leaves of TX Sage are probably more sensitive to moisture as well being basically a desert plant.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:12 pm

Lessons learned #2. TX Sage prefers growing new leaves after collection. Don't bother saving old leaves, most will drop in a week anyway. Tender & thinner branches tend to dry up (die back) as well. The ones that I pre-empted and cut back hard are performing better. Not sure if this is only a coincidence.

I wonder if root disturbance when re-potting will trigger the same reaction. I hope not.

Lessons learned #3. It buds back easily, even at old hardwood...mostly where there previously was very active growth. You can see by observing the bark where it is plump and recently broke and still greenish in color under. Or at the base of active branches.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down