Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Satsuki Azalea Cuttings

2 posters

Go down

Satsuki Azalea Cuttings Empty Satsuki Azalea Cuttings

Post  leatherback Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:13 pm

Hi all,

three weeks ago someone at my local bonsai club was trimming his Satsuki Azalea. As I do not have one, I decided to grab a handfull of the trimmings, and chuck them in a cutting bed. After two weeks in a noth-facing unheated window the roots started to appear en masse. I have now moved the growing box to the living room. Just.. How further.. I understand it is not the ideal time to start cuttings from azalea. I would like to get some to survive through winter though. Any thoughts on the best spot to keep them?
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Satsuki Azalea Cuttings Empty Re: Satsuki Azalea Cuttings

Post  JimLewis Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:20 pm

I'm a bit familiar with that area and know it can get cold there, so outside is probably not the best place, but indoors isn't ideal for azaleas, either.

They will need warmth and sunlight, air and some water. If you have a southern exposure room in your house/apartment, and somewhere where the sunlight can reach them most of the day, that will be best. Keep an oscillating fan blowing over them, and keep them DAMP, not wet.

And don't mess with them! No tugging, jiggling, scraping of bark or anything else that will damage delicate roots. If they make it, they make it. If they don't -- they don't. And they were free.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:33 pm

JimLewis wrote:
And don't mess with them! No tugging, jiggling, scraping of bark or anything else that will damage delicate roots. If they make it, they make it. If they don't -- they don't. And they were free.

Lol, I guess I know where this comment comes from. The number of people I have seen pulling cuttings from the soil to see whether it has roots..! In my case, the roots started all over the cutting. And I mean: Also a few mm from the highest leave on the cutting. Very odd to see.

So.. I should move them to a south facing window. Not a problem. Why the fan? To get air movement? I suppose I could place them outside (in the garage) untill real frost is expected? Or would they need higher temps to get their roots growing a bit (Currently they sit on top of a window-sill that is warm in the evening (Radiator))

Satsuki Azalea Cuttings Satsuk10
Satsuki Azalea Cuttings Satsuk11
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:04 pm

Why the fan? To get air movement?

Yes. And fewer bugs. Over a radiator may be warm, but it is a VERY dry environment and not good for plants. Will they get light in the garage? They'll need light all winter.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down