Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for a tree, can't remember the topic....

+3
Billy M. Rhodes
Poink88
Gentleman G.
7 posters

Go down

Looking for a tree, can't remember the topic.... Empty Looking for a tree, can't remember the topic....

Post  Gentleman G. Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:38 pm

Hey, everybody. I've been looking for a specific topic with pictures of a tree (I believe it was a Ficus of some sort) growing on a cinder block wall. The topic was not dedicated to this tree, but was dedicated to a visit to a private garden... I think. I've tried searching as many different combinations as I can think of, and tried going back through old posts, but I can't even remember which section it was in. Plus, it was before the new format, so it may have been moved. HELP PLEASE!!!
Gentleman G.
Gentleman G.

Back to top Go down

Looking for a tree, can't remember the topic.... Empty Re: Looking for a tree, can't remember the topic....

Post  Poink88 Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:48 pm

BTW, here is a thread done by Jun...

https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t10854-ankor-wat
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Looking for a tree, can't remember the topic.... Empty Re: Looking for a tree, can't remember the topic....

Post  Guest Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:00 pm

Hi Gentleman G

Is it this one?

[img]https://i.servimg.com/u/f67/15[url=https://servimg.com/view/15676504/51]

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:02 pm

Maybe this one from a private garden in Guanzhou, China
Looking for a tree, can't remember the topic.... Img_4910
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:12 pm

Or maybe this one.
Looking for a tree, can't remember the topic.... Img_4810
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Gentleman G. Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:54 pm

Maybe this one from a private garden in Guanzhou, China
Gentleman G.
Gentleman G.

Back to top Go down

Post  Gentleman G. Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:56 pm

That's the one, Mr. Rhodes!! Thank you!
Gentleman G.
Gentleman G.

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:14 pm

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:Maybe this one from a private garden in Guanzhou, China

While we're on the subject....

Billy, down on the lower right it looks like this is one brick wall in front with another behind it. It's so hard to tell from these flat pictures. If that's the case, is there a pocket in between with roots? Just trying to figure this one out.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:35 pm

Russell
This is actually a large pot with the front made to look like a wall. The back maybe 8 or 10 inches square with soil.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:39 pm

BTW, there is another Bonsai Tour of China scheduled for next April.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:30 pm

On my link, I send you, can you see some other photos of the trees.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:03 pm

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:Russell
This is actually a large pot with the front made to look like a wall. The back maybe 8 or 10 inches square with soil.
Interesting. Is the pot also made of bricks or just this facade? How deep is the pot?
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakaki Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:42 pm

Russell Coker wrote:
Billy M. Rhodes wrote:Maybe this one from a private garden in Guanzhou, China

While we're on the subject....

Billy, down on the lower right it looks like this is one brick wall in front with another behind it. It's so hard to tell from these flat pictures. If that's the case, is there a pocket in between with roots? Just trying to figure this one out.

I saw that tree once in youtube, and as I remember there were 2 pockets behind the wall.
Sakaki
Sakaki

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:23 pm

I saw this in person and took the photo myself, I really don't remember if there was one pocket or two. The owner of this garden gave us a book, I will look to see what it has.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:32 pm

There are a couple of pages in the book on this tree or a similar planting. In one photo from above, it shows one chamber for soil behind the "wall." However the "wall" is drilled with holes for the tree roots. The book is in Chinese and I don't read Chinese.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakaki Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:15 am

I think he (Han Xue Nian) has two similar ficus bonsais:

First one (which has one pocket):

Looking for a tree, can't remember the topic.... Dalian10

Looking for a tree, can't remember the topic.... Dalian11

And second one (which has 2 pockets as I remember):

Looking for a tree, can't remember the topic.... The_wa10

Looking for a tree, can't remember the topic.... The_wa11

The roots (circled as 1) are coming from the pocket behind the bricks & roots (2) are coming from the pocket that is protruding towards viewer.

(This is what I remember)
Sakaki
Sakaki

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:52 am

Gimmicks !!!

Because some smart folk in the East figured out that the real beauty of most Ficus trees is in the root arrangement and not the ho hum foliage.

Green hats on calligraphic rooting.

What are your eyes really responding to ?
Later.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsai*john Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:32 pm

hey guys! found this link about these trees; http://bonsaifarm.tv/wob-series-2/wob2-6/

-john
bonsai*john
bonsai*john

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down