Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creating the right "Type" of deadwood

4 posters

Go down

Creating the right "Type" of deadwood Empty Creating the right "Type" of deadwood

Post  bonsai monkey Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:06 pm

I have a Cotoneaster (not unusual) which is large and chunky (unusual) with loads of deadwood (very unusual). Some work has been made to it and I have since seen a Japanese Yew which is the “Brother from another Mother” in terms of styling (I did start mine years BEFORE seeing the image – honest!) but I am unsure how to “Style” the deadwood. Do I look at trying to recreate the dramatic deadwood of a Juniper or a Yew, which are probably the most common high percentage deadwood Bonsai about, or go a bit more rustic looking as you don’t see too many Cotoneasters in the wild with deadwood – or as a tree as a matter of fact!

I know that this might seem a soppy topic but I’d like to get the image right rather than trying to make it look like a “Juniper Wannabe!” All comments and help greatly appreciated,

Ook, Ook,
Simon
bonsai monkey
bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Creating the right "Type" of deadwood Empty Re: Creating the right "Type" of deadwood

Post  Poink88 Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:27 pm

Can you post a pic? (sorry I cannot help, but might help others give you better recommendations)
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Creating the right "Type" of deadwood Empty Re: Creating the right "Type" of deadwood

Post  Orion Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:07 pm

You have to ask the question-"does it fit?"

Does it fit the species in the degree of deadwood or is it going to look contrived?

Can the species sustain deadwood without quickly rotting?
Orion
Orion

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:50 pm

A pic would help. Since there is no definitive "Cotoneaster shape" the appropriateness of deadwood may depend upon the species you are emulating.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down