Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alternative Organic Fertilization

+12
JimLewis
abcd
zejer
Rick36
handy mick
FrankP999
Khaimraj Seepersad
drgonzo
stagz
rock
fiona
JustLikeAmmy
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Alternative Organic Fertilization - Page 2 Empty Re: Alternative Organic Fertilization

Post  Poink88 Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:12 pm

my nellie wrote:...
3. I am aware of villagers here in Greece breeding sheeps and goats who after making the cheese out of their milk they used to pour the remaining liquid to the garden plants as an extra food.
Maybe there is some truth...
My grandma used to do the same but using water after cleaning fish. It doesn't smell good, but her plants and garden sure are healthy. Maybe same applies to milk?
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Alternative Organic Fertilization - Page 2 Empty Re: Alternative Organic Fertilization

Post  JudyB Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:23 pm

Poink88 wrote:I've used milk as pesticide and it works. I just spray a solution of half milk, half water and a little dish washing soap to my aphid infested plants (fukien tea & crabapple especially) and it takes care of the problem.

Not sure if the dripping solution helps feed the tree as well. It probably does. Wink

Are you sure that it's the milk doing the job in that solution? Could very well be the dish soap....

JudyB

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:28 pm

Interestingly enough, applications of milk over top of the fruit, and around the base of the vines, is one of the "tricks" many growers of competition class giant pumpkins swear by.....Anecdotal to be sure, but fun none the less.

-Jay

Last edited by drgonzo on Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:30 pm

JudyB wrote:Are you sure that it's the milk doing the job in that solution? Could very well be the dish soap....
Judy,
This was discussed with a fellow bonsai club member and my understanding is that the soap helps coupled with the lactic acid of the milk which (supposedly) eats through the aphids exoskeleton. I am not sure if it is accurate though. I just know it works. Very Happy
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:58 pm

Best advice - read Walter on feeding and watering - it works for him.
Others may disagree (and probably will!!).

And follow that up with Brent's excellent treatise on fertilizing on www.evergreengardenworks.com.

JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:41 pm

Poink88 wrote:... ...My grandma used to do the same but using water after cleaning fish. It doesn't smell good... ...
My mother when preparing fish for food she used to burry some of the fish heads around the base of her plants into the garden. For 3-4 days the smell was terrible but her plants were healthy, too. Not many commercial fertilizers at those times....
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Legg Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:11 pm

my nellie wrote:
Poink88 wrote:... ...My grandma used to do the same but using water after cleaning fish. It doesn't smell good... ...
My mother when preparing fish for food she used to burry some of the fish heads around the base of her plants into the garden. For 3-4 days the smell was terrible but her plants were healthy, too. Not many commercial fertilizers at those times....

My in-laws burried their dog Sad under the avo tree. Great avos! Very Happy

Andrew Legg

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2