Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alternative Display from the Carolina Bonsai Expo

+11
AJ
GerhardGerber
flor1
carlos
Ka Pabling
Rob Kempinski
Todd Ellis
fiona
Jesse McMahon
John Quinn
jgeanangel
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Alternative Display from the Carolina Bonsai Expo Empty Alternative Display from the Carolina Bonsai Expo

Post  jgeanangel Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:20 pm

As many of you are probably aware my small study group enjoys responding to the challenge that Arthur Joura, curator of the bonsai collection at the North Carolina Arboretum (aka AJ), puts forth each year at the Carolina Bonsai Expo. This seemingly unique challenge among bonsai expo and conventions is two-fold. The first part of the challenge is for each club to create a cohesive display of multiple trees in a 16' x 3' space...not just trees displayed individually. The second part of the challenge, which is a little more optional, is to be creative with your display. This really opens the door to a wide variety of displays. Some that work and some that don't.
In general, our group has few if any of the real show stopping trees that you often see with expensive imports or ancient collected material. We have a lot of middle of the road trees that we work hard to present at the top of their potential. To counter this disadvantage we work hard to make sure our displays feature our trees in a clean and attractive manner. This year our display made a significant leap from traditional and conventional displays. Our study group was extremely flattered to have our efforts so very well received by the bonsai professionals, hobbyists, and the general public.

So here it is... Just ...sai

Alternative Display from the Carolina Bonsai Expo P1140026

Cedar of Lebanon
Alternative Display from the Carolina Bonsai Expo P1140029

Small trees - Satsuki Azalea - Shuho no Hikari, Japanese Maple, dwarf Bluets(?) Tree on the right is Gingko
Alternative Display from the Carolina Bonsai Expo P1140031

Bald Cypress with pitcher plant and acorus accent
Alternative Display from the Carolina Bonsai Expo P1140025

Boxwood Forest (Harlandii)
Alternative Display from the Carolina Bonsai Expo P1140024

Winged Elm
Alternative Display from the Carolina Bonsai Expo P1140021

Here is a short video look at the display

When I finally got around to taking pics of the displays from the other clubs, I was ill prepared and had a dying battery so I only got a couple...hopefully some of the other folks that were there over the weekend will fill in the gaps.

Bonsai Society of Carolinas (Charlotte)
Alternative Display from the Carolina Bonsai Expo P1140040

Mountain Empire Club (Wythesville, VA) (I don't think I have the name correct)
Alternative Display from the Carolina Bonsai Expo P1140039

Hinoke Bonsai Club (Roanoke, Va)
Alternative Display from the Carolina Bonsai Expo P1140038

Nashville Bonsai Society
Alternative Display from the Carolina Bonsai Expo P1140041

I would be interested in your thoughts and comments about the displays.
Thanks,
John

Last edited by jgeanangel on Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Alternative Display from the Carolina Bonsai Expo Empty Re: Alternative Display from the Carolina Bonsai Expo

Post  John Quinn Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:45 pm

I must admit I was tentative about the proposed design of our display, but it turned out great. Great job, John and Ken, as usual. cheers
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Alternative Display from the Carolina Bonsai Expo Empty Re: Alternative Display from the Carolina Bonsai Expo

Post  Jesse McMahon Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:00 am

i liked it. i found that my favorite part was where the colors in the display material and the cypress medium matched up really close. i liked what that did for my viewing. very creative, y'all!
Jesse McMahon
Jesse McMahon

Back to top Go down

Post  jgeanangel Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:13 am

John Quinn wrote:I must admit I was tentative about the proposed design of our display, but it turned out great. Great job, John and Ken, as usual. cheers

Thanks John!!! Ken is certainly responsible for the lion's share this year...especially when it comes to all the work!

Thanks Jesse!

John

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:15 am

As we say over on facebook:

fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:46 am

To John, Ken, clubs, et all, who put this show/exhibit together! Beautiful and very stimulating. The photo of the river with rapids and falls is very clever. The mountain landscape is so simple but (pardon the pun) draws you right in "that world"; the bridge really works IMHO. The plain black background/display really sets off the trees well. The Nashville trees look great too.
The trees in the blocks are just stunning! This idea really lets the trees speak for themselves. Most of the material is younger; I think the oldest tree is probably the ginkgo. This display enhances the illusion of age! The boxwood grove looks like a real grove of trees - lots of character. The Bald Cypress is very impressive. Very creative and makes me think that I need to head to that part of the country to see the show in person.
Thank you for sharing your pics and video. thumbs up
Best,
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:20 am

The grey box display is very interesting. The cypress tree works the best to me, seems like it is resting is a swamp somewhere looking ancient. I applaud you guys for being innovative.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Ka Pabling Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:48 am

Very innovative presentations abd stunning trees as well.
Congratulations!
Best wishes
ka pabling
Ka Pabling
Ka Pabling

Back to top Go down

Post  jgeanangel Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:23 am

We appreciate your kind words Fiona, Todd, Rob, and Ka Pabling!!

John

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  carlos Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:14 am

Like I said before, there is no way that is a Buxus harlandii! Just because you think I is..... I know you are mistaken!

carlos

Back to top Go down

Post  jgeanangel Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:05 pm

carlos wrote:Like I said before, there is no way that is a Buxus harlandii! Just because you think I is..... I know you are mistaken!

Whatever you say buddy!! So if you know what's not, what is it?

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:22 pm

jgeanangel wrote:
carlos wrote:Like I said before, there is no way that is a Buxus harlandii! Just because you think I is..... I know you are mistaken!

Whatever you say buddy!! So if you know what's not, what is it?

Precisely. I have no problem with people giving opposite opinions or contradicting others' statements as long as these are qualified.

So, Carlos, two people have now asked you to back up your statement. If it is not harlandii it would be interesting and educational to us if you gave your reasons for saying so, and it would obviously be even better if you could follow that up by telling us what you believe the plant to be.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:31 pm

As an adjunct to that, Jose Luis gave the following explanation over on the "sister" thread to this one:

jrodriguez wrote: This looks like Buxus microphylla 'japonica'. Buxus harlandii, native ti Taiwan, has much smaller leaves and extremely rough bark, even as a young plant. Even it's roots display incredible bark texture. The smoothness the featured tree displays in it's trunk is a dead giveaway.

I currently do not have a picture of a Harland's boxwood, but they have been featured here extensively. Check out a post called "La Nina and Bonsai". Those are real Harlandii's. Kind regards, Jose Luis

It's not a species we have over here so I'm not entering the debate, but credit to Jose Luis for providing us with a reasoned and mannerly response.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  flor1 Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:03 pm

Great display well done an thought out. Glad to see people thinking outside of the box.

flor1

Back to top Go down

Post  GerhardGerber Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:37 pm

Hi

This is the right thread to make my comment Laughing

I think those displays are the best I've ever seen, the twin trunk BC looks stunning in that setting! thumbs up

GerhardGerber

Back to top Go down

Post  jgeanangel Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:11 pm

GerhardGerber wrote:Hi

This is the right thread to make my comment Laughing

I think those displays are the best I've ever seen, the twin trunk BC looks stunning in that setting! thumbs up

Thanks for your kind comments!!!

Also thanks Flor1...to your comment about thinking outside the box...we wondered if we were actually thinking inside the box:)
John

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:13 pm

jgeanangel wrote: thanks Flor1...to your comment about thinking outside the box...we wondered if we were actually thinking inside the box:) John
An example of literal lateral thinking? Very Happy
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  AJ Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:51 pm

The South Carolina boys did it again... Congratulations Ken, John and Mike!

John - Luckily, I did catch a picture of that most amazing moment of the whole amazing weekend, when guest artist Walter Pall shrunk himself down to miniature size and did a little work on the front of your head:

Alternative Display from the Carolina Bonsai Expo Copy_o10

By the way, you're looking more and more like Buddha.
AJ
AJ

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:56 pm

"Also thanks Flor1...to your comment about thinking outside the box...we wondered if we were actually thinking inside the box:)
John..."

Took the words right out of my mouth... Cool
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  jgeanangel Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:22 pm

AJ wrote:The South Carolina boys did it again... Congratulations Ken, John and Mike!

John - Luckily, I did catch a picture of that most amazing moment of the whole amazing weekend, when guest artist Walter Pall shrunk himself down to miniature size and did a little work on the front of your head:

Alternative Display from the Carolina Bonsai Expo Copy_o10

By the way, you're looking more and more like Buddha.

Thanks for catching that moment Arthur...you are such a pal!

Perhaps you can be the next one to get Walter's tattoo on your head:)
Alternative Display from the Carolina Bonsai Expo Wptat

Last edited by jgeanangel on Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  AJ Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:27 pm

Hey - this is my 100th post! And what better way to use it than to say, "You're welcome, buddy!"
AJ
AJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Fox CWB Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:33 pm

Thanks for sharing, the alternative display was great.
Fox
Fox CWB
Fox CWB

Back to top Go down

Post  Walter Pall Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:14 pm

Joe, Ken and the rest of the group,

as you kow I have chosen your display as the best of show. There were two other displays which I thought were very good: the one with the mirrors and the simple one by the Charlotte group. Yours was brilliant. I congratulate your group to tis achievement.
I have borrowed the tattoo trick on my blog, if you will allow.
Walter Pall
Walter Pall

Back to top Go down

Post  jgeanangel Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:11 pm

Walter Pall wrote:Joe, Ken and the rest of the group,

as you kow I have chosen your display as the best of show. There were two other displays which I thought were very good: the one with the mirrors and the simple one by the Charlotte group. Yours was brilliant. I congratulate your group to tis achievement.

Thank you for your kind words Walter!! ...and of course you are welcome to use the picture:)

John

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  kenduncan Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:05 pm

Walter Pall wrote:Joe, Ken and the rest of the group,

Thank You Walter for your kind words about our work and for a very educational and enjoyable weekend.

John your pictures and the video of our display are very good. I really like the way the background and the boxes sparkle as the camera pans across the display in the video.
Ken

kenduncan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next