Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ideal Bonsai Bench for Urban Bonsai - Step-by-Step

+7
JudyB
JimLewis
MikeG
abcd
ufgoodies
John Lee
mbolos
11 posters

Go down

Ideal Bonsai Bench for Urban Bonsai - Step-by-Step Empty Ideal Bonsai Bench for Urban Bonsai - Step-by-Step

Post  mbolos Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:03 am

For the past 9 years my love of bonsai and love of city life have been in stark conflict. In Philadelphia I tried several methods (towels, paint trays, etc.), but every time annoyed, wet pedestrians soaked by runoff would complain to my landlord (whoops!). With my recent move to Chicago, I decided to finally build the bonsai benches I have dreamt about for years. Figured I'd share for any other IBC members living in city high rises.

Ideal Bonsai Bench for Urban Bonsai - Step-by-Step Img_2011
As always, step 1 begins with going to a hardware store and buying a boatload of treated wood (and two rolls of aluminum flashing).

Ideal Bonsai Bench for Urban Bonsai - Step-by-Step Img_2012
I then built a simple frame (I later added extra bracing around the lower part of the legs). The cross struts are to support the wood planks that form the top of the table. The idea was that more mounting points will (a) look nicer and (b) result in less warping over time.

Ideal Bonsai Bench for Urban Bonsai - Step-by-Step Img_2013
In order to catch & funnel water, I screwed in aluminum flashing under the table. It's mounted at a slight angle so the water catches and flows to one side.

Ideal Bonsai Bench for Urban Bonsai - Step-by-Step Img_2019
I used 6" planks to form the outer edge of the table. The planks were counter synced and then drilled into the cross struts. (note: you can see the frame of the second table taking shape in the lower left)

Ideal Bonsai Bench for Urban Bonsai - Step-by-Step Img_2020
Lather, rinse, repeat & voila you have two tables now. You can place them lengthwise on your balcony so the runoff all flows into one bucket.

Ideal Bonsai Bench for Urban Bonsai - Step-by-Step Img_2017
I applied deck stain for added protection from the elements.

Ideal Bonsai Bench for Urban Bonsai - Step-by-Step Img_2018
Looks just like my sketch.

Ideal Bonsai Bench for Urban Bonsai - Step-by-Step Img_2310
Since I live 400' up in the windy city, I thought it smart to pre-drill and then screw in some ibolts. Mini bungee cords can then be strapped over the pots to hold them in place. (note: I also cut down the flashing a bit)

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

mbolos

Back to top Go down

Ideal Bonsai Bench for Urban Bonsai - Step-by-Step Empty Re: Ideal Bonsai Bench for Urban Bonsai - Step-by-Step

Post  John Lee Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:28 am

Those are really nice and well built, you should be proud.

John
John Lee
John Lee

Back to top Go down

Ideal Bonsai Bench for Urban Bonsai - Step-by-Step Empty Re: Ideal Bonsai Bench for Urban Bonsai - Step-by-Step

Post  ufgoodies Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:33 am

your post makes it look so easy, yet they look amazing. Thanks for this, i'm sure many bonsai gardens can benefit from it!

ufgoodies

Back to top Go down

Post  abcd Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:13 am

Ambiant humidity is very important for trees with wind, i give you an advice : to protecting wood , to put a textile and volcanics stones on sheet stainless with slope for recovery rain water under your trees
abcd
abcd

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeG Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:58 am

Great benches.

I live on the 17th floor of an apartment building and know how it is to upset the people below me too once in a while. Think I'll finally work on some proper benches over the winter with a design similar to yours. I (and my neighbours) thank you for the great design idea.
MikeG
MikeG

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:49 pm

The water-catching rig is a great idea. My first concern when looking at the pictures before reading the text was that they were so narrow the might be a bit tippy when heavy trees are sitting on the top, but on a flat balcony floor and if they are maybe fastened to the railing, that probably won't be a problem.

I strongly suggest you soak these (legs and all) in Thompson's Water Seal or something similar; otherwise they'll start to rot almost immediately.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  JudyB Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:54 pm

great idea! would even be helpful to anyone who tries to conserve water, especially water with fert in it, as you could re-use the runoff... And they are very nice looking, good job sunny

JudyB

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:45 am

I would love to see a picture of your benches on your balcony with trees.
Best,
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Orion Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:36 am

Excellent job on them, looks like they will serve you well.
Orion
Orion

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:07 am

The width of your benches, especially with the raised sides, serves to limit the size of the trees you can grow. Maybe not a bad thing, as I think about moving some of my larger trees into the greenhouse in a few months.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:46 pm

You can use baby oil [ mineral oil ] to water proof or paraffin wax [water thin] thinned in ordorless mineral spirits [ this is probably Thompson's water seal ]

Re-apply every year.
Later.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down