Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pot recommendation for my wife's boxwood please

+9
JudyB
coh
rockm
marcus watts
Sam Ogranaja
Khaimraj Seepersad
Brett Simon
stagz
Poink88
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Pot recommendation for my wife's boxwood please - Page 2 Empty Re: Pot recommendation for my wife's boxwood please

Post  yamasuri Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:17 am

This one looks great Dario. Very good choice.
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Pot recommendation for my wife's boxwood please - Page 2 Empty Re: Pot recommendation for my wife's boxwood please

Post  JMcCoy Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:59 pm

The warm colors in this one would look great with Boxwood, IMHO. Beautiful pot!
JMcCoy
JMcCoy

Back to top Go down

Post  rockm Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:56 pm

Nice pot. I liked that one too. You might email Ron and see what he has around or what he might be able to make you.

I think he's got a kiln opening the weekend of Sept. 7, which might mean he's got a few pots on hand...

rockm

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian Van Fleet Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:14 pm

With such light bark, I like boxwood in darker glazed pots. The soft shape makes me think something like this blue oval...
http://www.tokoname.or.jp/bonsai/gallery/76f37.htm

Last edited by Brian Van Fleet on Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brian Van Fleet
Brian Van Fleet

Back to top Go down

Post  BrianG Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:14 pm

JMO.... I would stick to a rectangle or a rectangle with round corners. Your tree is more of a masculine tree. Oak style, rough bark says strong to me. Ovals are more of a feminine with soft round edges... A rectangle in that last pots finish would be very nice choice JMHO. When you do repot I would position the tree more to the right of pot, if that picture represents the front. Awesome tree by the way ... can't wait to see future pictures of its progress.
BrianG
BrianG

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:55 pm

Brian Van Fleet wrote:With such light bark, I like boxwood in darker glazed pots. The soft shape makes me think something like this blue oval...
http://www.tokoname.or.jp/bonsai/gallery/76f37.htm
Brian,

We looked at the pots and they felt/looked "cheap" somehow. Not the usual Tokoname I see. My wife still prefers the one recommended by rockm.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:58 pm

BrianG wrote:JMO.... I would stick to a rectangle or a rectangle with round corners. Your tree is more of a masculine tree. Oak style, rough bark says strong to me. Ovals are more of a feminine with soft round edges... A rectangle in that last pots finish would be very nice choice JMHO. When you do repot I would position the tree more to the right of pot, if that picture represents the front. Awesome tree by the way ... can't wait to see future pictures of its progress.
We are not ruling this type of pot yet...

Re: positioning, I was actually thinking of moving it more to the left since the center mass is to the right of the base. I am confused on this and hope someone can elaborate and explain. scratch Question

Thank you!
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  BrianG Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:10 pm

This position has to do with flow of the tree and branch structure and negative spaces. How it appears to the eye. This is a good explaination by Peter Warren on it. Hope this helps.

BrianG
BrianG

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:20 pm

Thanks Brian. I tried to watch the video twice but it was too drawn out and cannot finish it.

Anyway, I contacted Ron Lang and did a follow-up but he never responded...maybe it is not meant to be. Time to reconsider other options.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  rockm Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:38 pm

Keep at Ron Lang. This was one of his busiest weekends, as he had a kiln opening event at his place. He had to host dozens of people during that time for the event and associated demonstrations.

He will respond. It's taken him some time to get back to me occasionally but he always does...

rockm

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:56 pm

rockm wrote:Keep at Ron Lang. This was one of his busiest weekends, as he had a kiln opening event at his place. He had to host dozens of people during that time for the event and associated demonstrations.

He will respond. It's taken him some time to get back to me occasionally but he always does...
He already did and told me the reason for the delay is exactly as you stated. We are good to go and might end up ordering 2 pots Smile My wife is excited (and so am I) Thanks! cheers
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  rockm Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:39 pm

If you're ever around Harrisburg, PA, a trip to Ron's is necessary Smile After years of buying his pots, I finally went to one of his kiln opening events last October. I came away not only with the pot I ordered, but a couple more. I wish had more cash, as there were literally a dozen other pots that should have come home with me.

rockm

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2