Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Plastic is Greener than Wood?

+9
JimLewis
Henrik Stubelius
Alan Walker
Rick Moquin
NeilDellinger
fiona
gman
Kev Bailey
Jay Gaydosh
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Plastic is Greener than Wood? - Page 2 Empty Back to Bonsai -almost

Post  gman Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:41 pm

Jim I agree .......that we need to get back to Bonsai....

However I can't leave it without ensuring that I portray our forest industry a little better.....So that others can see that we do it differently here in BC.........
Therefore if you (or others) are interested...... I'd be more than happy to provide you with PM on "A Look at the Coastal Forests of British Columbia"......whereby our current "legal and mandated" practices, have to manage and protect 11 resource values; Soils, Water, Timber, Wildlife, Visual quality, Fish, Resource features, Biodiversity, recreation resources, forage and culture heritage resources.

As an aside.........I haven't been involved in a monoculture forest plantation since the 70's and currently each cut over area is harvested under a silvicultural system called variable retention.... where we leave remnants (patches) of the original forest......and now on the Mid and North Coast of BC we are moving into Ecosystem Based Management which on the leading edge of such practices.
Cheers G
gman
gman

Back to top Go down

Plastic is Greener than Wood? - Page 2 Empty Re: Plastic is Greener than Wood?

Post  fiona Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:11 pm

forbey wrote: Would one of my Celtic readers tell me, the correct pronunciation of CELTIC. The Boston basketball team says (Sell-tick). Our St. Andrews Society insists it is "Kel-tick". What say you?

seltic or keltic? either is technically korrect! It's a bit like should you say Gah-lick or Gay-lick - either is correct but the unco-purists will tell you that you say the Irish language as Gaylick and the Scottish one as Gahlick because that's how they sound in the tongues themselves. Or perhaps, more cynically, it's just because there's a lot of snobbery about the whole issue!

If you want to avoid any confusion, the speakers of the Celtic languages prefer it to be pronounced with the hard "k" sound. If, however, you are a fan of a certain Boston basketball team and most certainly if your preference is for the green soccer team in Glasgow, you simply must say selltick if you want to stay alive.

Anyway, as Jim says, let's get back to some bonsai.

Does anyone know if Celtis is any good for bonsai? Very Happy And should it be selltis or kelltis?
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:38 pm

I prefer Keltic. I'm a Lakers fan!

In Ireland they speak Gaylick,
in Scotland they speak Gahlick (whick I lean towards),
in Italy they speak GARLIC! lol!

I get the same with Bonsai.
The Ja[panese pilots in the WWII movies yelled BONZAI
before they crashed their planes into a ship. But try and
tell someone who doesn't raise little bitty trees in containers
(and some who do) that the word is bone-sigh and see where you get. silent

My vote is for Keltis.

BTW, my package "Speaking Our Language" came in just fine.
Another hobby begins!

forbey
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:11 pm

I've always pronounced "Celtis" with a soft "C" but since Latin is a dead language, who knows -- or cares?

C. laevigata, a N. American tree, is excellent for bonsai. C. occidentalis (also a NA tree and a very large one, has leaves that are a bit large for MY bonsai -- but maybe not for some of the gee whiz trees that get posted here.

I dunno about European Celtis.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Cliff Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:02 am

forbey wrote:The Japanese pilots in the WWII movies yelled BONZAI before they crashed their planes into a ship.
Nope, they yelled BANZAI, which most folk pronounce correctly (more or less), even the ones who don't raise little bitty trees. But folk who don't raise little bitty trees usually mispronounce "bonsai" so badly that they think it's the same word.

Cliff

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2