Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spider mite? Pls help

5 posters

Go down

Spider mite? Pls help  Empty Spider mite? Pls help

Post  Fukien beech Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:07 pm

Hi Guys,

Just over a week ago my Corky bark Elm started to push new buds - Great, I was really happy.

Today I noticed that the new growth was turning a bit black? So I took a closer look at the tree...does anyone here have any idea a)what my tree is suffering from and b) if the photo with the red dots has anything to do with it?

Thanks

[img]Spider mite? Pls help  Dsc_0610[/img]

[img]Spider mite? Pls help  Dsc_0711[/img]

[img]Spider mite? Pls help  Dsc_0712[/img]
Fukien beech
Fukien beech

Back to top Go down

Spider mite? Pls help  Empty Re: Spider mite? Pls help

Post  JimLewis Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:06 pm

My ancient eyes don't see any red dots. Looks like a typical root issue to me.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:35 pm

JimLewis wrote:My ancient eyes don't see any red dots. Looks like a typical root issue to me.

What he said. Possibly too wet.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:50 pm

Don't fertilize until that new growth has extended considerably AND hardened off, (in case thats fert burn or root burn due to salts/ferts) and don't get that tender new growth wet.

I tend to suspect a fungal thing as my Chinese Elm does something similar if the tender new growth gets wet, it blackens out with fungus. Once the foliage hardens off a bit it doesn't mind getting wet.

Just my thoughts
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Treedwarfer Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:14 pm

This sort of adventitious emergency growth is very tender and is really more suitable to spring conditions. In summer the heat and profusion of fungal spores will cause this reaction almost invariably. If you can take the tree indoors (NOT in a sunny window) until the foliage has hardened a little, and then re-introduce it outside during a cloudy few days, it should be fine. Spray it with Daconil before you take it inside, and again when it is returned to the outside.

Treedwarfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down