Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UV light . . . . . .

4 posters

Go down

UV light . . . . . . Empty UV light . . . . . .

Post  JimLewis Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:22 pm

I learned something out of the blue today.

Just as deciduous trees start preparing for fall leaf drop when the days grow shorter, cutting off the supply of UV light, horses are reacting in the opposite direction and begin to grow their winter coat -- no matter how warm it might be. Owners of pampered show horses, then move their beasts into a barn stall and beam as much UV light as possible at them in order to keep their coats glossy and short.

Jackie, OTOH, takes the same tack I do with the trees -- let nature take Her course. Her show horses (!?) stay outside except when there's lightening zapping in the neighborhood.

Just a bit of serendipitous tie in between her horses and my trees.

This all came about when I complained how dark it is getting now when I get up at 5:30 a.m. to make the coffee and she moaned sleepily about her horses' coats.

(Note: all the dots up in the title are because this idiotic board insists I have at least 10 characters in the title. Sheesh. [probably an anti-spam tactic.].)
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

UV light . . . . . . Empty Re: UV light . . . . . .

Post  John Quinn Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:42 am

Yes, I hate going in to work in the dark...
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:55 am

I personally love our Horses with their fluffy coats.

Would you place lights over your trees as for them not to loose their foliage?

Last edited by Andre Beaurain on Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  Steven Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:42 am

Learn something new every day
Steven
Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:36 am

I have to admit; I just realized that I'm a hypocrite! What a Face I also put succulents in the Warm Orchid house over winter, just to give them a longer growing period. silent

Yes interesting observation about the UV light, wereas it causes one thing to grow thicker and the other to stop growing.
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down