Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Summer weather is here...

+6
BonsaiJim
Billy M. Rhodes
drgonzo
fiona
Steven
Poink88
10 posters

Go down

Summer weather is here...  Empty Summer weather is here...

Post  Poink88 Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:32 pm

Being in TX, we have longer growing season or do we really?

My plants are now in summer growth slow down due to heat. For months we have high 90*F temps and this weekend, we will start 100*F temps (forecast is for at least a week straight) Evil or Very Mad

How's the weather in your neck of the woods?
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Summer weather is here...  Empty Re: Summer weather is here...

Post  Steven Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:42 pm

For once its been a nice spring, a few hot humid days but otherwise some nice growing weather until this week, we will be in the 90's to 100's with the heat index this week and all the humidity you can stand, hoping we will see a few more nice days before summer really sinks in here in Va
Steven
Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:36 pm

------- awful!

INSTALLING SUMMER..... ███████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ 45% DONE.
Installation failed. 404 error: Season not valid in UK

Wet, 20mph wind and 12C (53.6F) here today, and that's pretty much been a pattern apart from one week at the end of May. It was actually warmer and drier in March than just now.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:45 pm

Thermometer on my east side bench was 108F in the sun at 10 AM. Yesterday I watered 3 times.

My wife grew up in southern Louisiana and she tells me there are actually two growing seasons, Spring and F all...Nothing grows in the heat of summer down there. They just kind of 'Hold position.' Having personally experienced Southern Louisiana heat in late August, Little heat waves like we're having now in upstate NY seem like child's play.

-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Steven Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:50 pm

I spent a lot of time in Louisiana for work last year and I would agree, not somewhere I would want to move my garden lol
Steven
Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:58 pm

Tell 'em to send some of that heat over here. You guys are just so selfish!!!! Very Happy Wink
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:41 pm

fiona wrote:Tell 'em to send some of that heat over here. You guys are just so selfish!!!! Very Happy Wink
Oh how I wish Fiona. If it is possible, wouldn't that be perfect? cyclops
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:43 pm

High 80s and rain on the Space Coast
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:45 pm

drgonzo wrote:Thermometer on my east side bench was 108F in the sun at 10 AM. Yesterday I watered 3 times.

My wife grew up in southern Louisiana and she tells me there are actually two growing seasons, Spring and F all...Nothing grows in the heat of summer down there. They just kind of 'Hold position.' Having personally experienced Southern Louisiana heat in late August, Little heat waves like we're having now in upstate NY seem like child's play.

-Jay
Same here Jay and I agree with your wife. My thermometer registered 102 under the shade last week. My plants are now in "hibernate" mode. Evil or Very Mad
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  BonsaiJim Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:24 pm

Great weather here south of Houston... Rained a bit this week so everything is happy. I think of the summer as an extra winter... you can get an extra round of activity, albeit milder, in with less concern about winter issues.
BonsaiJim
BonsaiJim

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans van Meer. Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:31 pm

Thunderstorm with heavy rains just past over my house! It rained freaking horizontally! Shocked I had to bring most of my collection back into their winter shelter, for protection from the rain and storm! And to prevent them from drowning in their own pots! The predicted much more of this #### weather! DUTCH SUMMER...HOERA!!! Mad
Cheers,
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:11 pm

March recorded 29 deg on my benches
April winds to 60mph, rain to match
May- mostly damp & cold, one good week in mid 20's
June- winds to 75 mph + gusts!! , about 15 days with some or all rain.

Rain is not causing problems as my soil mix is like a pot of broken bricks and the trees had a series of fungicide sprays......it is the cold that has slowed growth unbelievably though - many pruning methods to make more inner buds can't be done as their isnt the growth to prune off yet. Everything very healthy though, just slow
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans van Meer. Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:02 am

marcus watts wrote:
Rain is not causing problems as my soil mix is like a pot of broken bricks and the trees had a series of fungicide sprays......it is the cold that has slowed growth unbelievably though - many pruning methods to make more inner buds can't be done as their isnt the growth to prune off yet. Everything very healthy though, just slow

Same here Marcus! The earlier planed removal of candles on two of my almost (show) ready Mugo's was not posible! There simply wasn't enough growth on them and it takes them ages to open up in this cold weather! If I would decide to remove them anyway, the expected new buds will have a to short growing season ahead of them! So now I will let them open up and grow some more and will then shorten them back! Like you say: healthy but so slow! But that is what makes this art so exciting! Besides creating, we also have to come up with ideas and solutions to keep our creations alive and kicking, wile looking damn good! Very Happy
Cheers,
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  bumblebee Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:59 pm

90's here now with infrequent heavy rains for days at a time. One jasmine drowned in the last rains and I didn't notice until maybe too late. It's in intensive care for now. I just got my shade structure completed over my trees yesterday. so now they are all a lot happier than they were in our full hot sun! I can keep up with the watering now!

Libby

bumblebee

Back to top Go down

Post  katsols Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:07 pm

Mostly 80's/upper 70's here, my pre bonsai azalea and other plants are thriving but this weekend we are gonna have a heat wave of upper 90's to 100's i gotta put all of them in a more shady spot.
katsols
katsols

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down