Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tool Caddy

+3
JimLewis
Poink88
bonsaisr
7 posters

Go down

Tool Caddy Empty Tool Caddy

Post  bonsaisr Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:29 pm

I've had a tool caddy for 15-20 years and it finally wore out. It is plastic, maybe a foot long. It has holes on the sides for tools, three open compartments, & 8 little drawers on the bottom. I went to Home Depot & Lowes & they didn't have anything like it. I also Googled on line with no success. All the tool caddies I've seen are big, heavy, expensive professional models or just open trays. No tool caddies for amateur home-owners.
Does anyone know of anything like this in the US?
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Tool Caddy Empty Re: Tool Caddy

Post  Poink88 Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:31 pm

Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:35 pm

A cheaper version is this...
http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-70301-6-Compartment-Home-N-Garden-Tool/dp/B0038MF3VS/ref=sr_1_72?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1339508029&sr=1-72

Check Walmart garden section, they should have one similar to this.

Good luck!
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:06 pm

Step up with some bottom (small) compartment
http://www.amazon.com/Custom-LeatherCraft-1528-Electrical-Maintenance/dp/B0000DYVHS/ref=pd_sim_hi_3

Knowing your budget, weight/size limitations, and real must-haves will help.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:52 pm

I have one of the first ones you show. Used it for about a week. It's now sitting empty in my workshop and I'm back to my small, gray Craftsman toolbox.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:05 pm

Jim,

It all boils down to personal preference. I too have the same tool bag (several actually and different sizes). I also have several tool boxes and tackle boxes. Guess where most of my bonsai tools are? In a dish pan (same as the ones I pot my plants in) and in my grill's drawer Embarassed Weird huh?
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:16 pm

i use a Joshua Roth leather roll for the tools i like to keep oiled and nice, everything else is dumped in an empty plastic box that my electric drill came in. when working (i stand up) i use a leather tool belt with a pouch thing like roofers use. this keep the essential 3 tools close at hand.

cheers marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:27 pm

marcus watts wrote:i use a Joshua Roth leather roll for the tools i like to keep oiled and nice, everything else is dumped in an empty plastic box that my electric drill came in. when working (i stand up) i use a leather tool belt with a pouch thing like roofers use. this keep the essential 3 tools close at hand.

cheers marcus
Marcus,
I use a similar one (when I feel like)...this.
Tool Caddy 41nWFR%2BCRcL._SL500_AA300_
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:36 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. They all look too big, they are too expensive, & I really need those little drawers or compartments. Target & Walmart online didn't have anything either.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:36 pm

bonsaisr wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. They all look too big, they are too expensive, & I really need those little drawers or compartments. Target & Walmart online didn't have anything either.
Iris

haha, at a guess mostly men have shown their preferences, we started with little draws and compartments but soon got bored and went for one big pile of stuff - i try to spend every spare daylight hour on the trees though rather than re-sorting compartments but i think a really good fishing tackle shop will have your needs.

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:15 am

Oh, dear. I found a smaller tool bag that would probably be satisfactory, but including tax & shipping, it would be more than $50. Forget it.
I looked at tackle boxes, but they have no provision for carrying tools.
With the little drawers, there is no sorting. I have a drawer for drain hole covers, a drawer for florist's wire, a drawer with a tape measure, etc. They don't get mixed up, so there is nothing to sort.
I wonder if they have anything in the dollar stores?
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:37 am

bonsaisr wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. They all look too big, they are too expensive, & I really need those little drawers or compartments. Target & Walmart online didn't have anything either.
Iris
Sigh. I kept asking for your budget and you just say expensive (which is relative)...you obviously do not want proper help. Good luck finding what you are looking for.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:27 am

Poink88 wrote:
Iris
Sigh. I kept asking for your budget and you just say expensive (which is relative)...you obviously do not want proper help. Good luck finding what you are looking for.

I echo this Dario - unfortunately a somewhat pointless discussion. if this had been a tree thread everyone would have said show us a picture of what you had......and by the way iris a proper fishing store will have lure boxes where each large lure can have its own seperate compartment - but you get what you pay for these days so i dont think its worth you looking at these as they are high quality items.

cardboard box going spare anyone? Very Happy
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:14 pm

Oh dear. Sorry Dario and Marcus. I am a fan of both of you and like how you try to help people, but I do think your comments are unnecessarily rude.

In terms of "must-haves", Iris specified from the get-go that she wanted something with drawers and compartments and I'd assume she wants something reasonably portable too. Iris, maybe try googling aeromodellers toolboxes as Himindoors and his flighty friends have a variety of devices with such drawers in them so they can keep their glow plugs separate from their nacelles etc. Some are plastic (the tool boxes, not the aeromodellers) and others wood (I'm resisting the temptation to say the aeromodellers, not the toolboxes here). Some are even on wheels and can be towed or stowed a bit like modern luggage. I've stated aeromodellers but in fact probably any sort of modellers toolbox would work as a google.

I'll try to find out some more about them and get back to you.

Last edited by fiona on Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:34 pm

Iris, I believe you have Stanley tools in the US. Before it was commandeered for use by an aeromodeller, I used to have a Stanley toolbox set that I used for bonsai. It was lightweight plastic and was in two detachable sections. The one on top had a couple of drawers, a compartment tray and a "box" section and I used this bit for tools and bits and bobs. The lower section was essentially a box and I used it for wire. The bottom section also had a couple of drawers if I remember correctly. Whole thing was on wheels (had a telescopic handle which allowed you to pull it along like luggage) and probably cost me about £25 (c$38).

If that's the sort of thing you're looking for, try googling Stanley toolboxes.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:50 pm

fiona wrote:Oh dear. Sorry Dario and Marcus. I am a fan of both of you and like how you try to help people, but I do think your comments are unnecessarily rude.
Fiona,
Likewise, I admire your tact but disagree with you this time. My post is a mix of frustration maybe but NOT rude. I really am trying hard to help but she is making it difficult. All I am asking is her budget so I can narrow it down.

What she wants/needs vs. what she can afford must meet. Otherwise, I would suggest flea market, garage sale, and thrift store but I know she is not too mobile so those may be out too.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:19 pm

Maybe something like this? For about $29.00 and I am sure can be found in Walmart (fishing section)
http://www.amazon.com/Plano-1372-30-2-Utility-Organizers-SandStone/dp/B000I1HDYW/ref=sr_1_39?ie=UTF8&qid=1339679564&sr=8-39
Tool Caddy 51AL1cofX5L._SL500_AA300_

or just buy the organizer separately (for $8.00) and add to the tool totes I posted earlier.
http://www.amazon.com/Plano-23700-01-Stowaway-Adjustable-Dividers/dp/B000E3C3OE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1339679827&sr=8-2
Tool Caddy 314VTH6REAL._SL500_AA300_
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:42 am

Gee whiz, guys, I didn't mean to reinforce any stereotypes. No
I thought about including a photo, but didn't get around to it.
The brand name on my tool caddy is EZ-Tote. In the course of my Googling, I came across a forum where several people were lamenting that they no longer exist.
I finally found something that is pretty close to what I am looking for, at a reasonable price, $21. And the store is only a few miles away. No shipping. I will send you the URL, in case anyone is interested.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/CONTICO-Tool-OrganizerCaddy-2VE96
Some sellers are cheaper, but you have to order it online & pay shipping.
Iris

Last edited by bonsaisr on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add URL for information)
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:32 am

Graingers is a great place for the "hard to find" tools and accessories.
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down