Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

olive styling

5 posters

Go down

olive styling Empty olive styling

Post  KoPiSan Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:20 pm

I got this olive last year in a workshop.

It's been cut back once (last year) about three inches. As you can see the trunk has no taper and slants sharply.
It has a large base and I would like to develop this tree into a small sumo type tree because I can't get my head around the slanting style.
I am willing to invest a lot of time and patience into this tree because I love it and because I think it has great potential.

Any thoughts you could provide or virts would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

https://servimg.com/view/17569344/11

olive styling Img_0525

KoPiSan

Back to top Go down

olive styling Empty Re: olive styling

Post  Jennyreyn Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:56 pm

I would go for the sumo approach and take it down to the first branch and see what develops from there. Or you could keep some of the straight trunk for carving of driftwood. Sorry no good with virtuals!
Jennyreyn
Jennyreyn

Back to top Go down

Post  jrodriguez Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:10 pm

Dave,

Olive trees take years to develop into a credible piece. Of course. if you train them in the pine style, you may achieve pleasing effect in a shorter time. Unfortunately and considering the species, the pine style does not emulate the natural characteristics of the species.

Below, an olive from my collection. It has been under training for over 40 years, started as a pencil thin cutting purchased in Bonsai Farm (Texas) by my first teaches, Puerto Rico Bonsai pioneer Adán Montalvo in the 70's:

olive styling Olive_10
jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:12 pm

KoPiSan wrote:... ...I am willing to invest a lot of time and patience into this tree because I love it and because I think it has great potential.
With patience and vision you can achieve some decent results but it will take some years though....
Carefully carving the straight trunk you can disguise the lack of taper and give the tree a lot of character, in my personal opinion.

Look for instance at this old olive tree olive styling 1330449426italy_olive
I am used to see lots of such wonderful trees all around the Mediterranean Smile
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  jrodriguez Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:13 pm

This tree is quite large and has beautiful flacky bark up to the branch tips. The long branch is a sacrificial limb. Now, a side view:

olive styling Olive_11
jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

Post  jrodriguez Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:14 pm

A Close up of the branch structure. This tree is planted in 100% mountain sand. I now have collected olive from Mallorca, currently being trained in a different style.

olive styling Olive_12
jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

Post  jrodriguez Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:21 pm

A picture of the tree, 40 years ago:

olive styling Olive_13
jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:21 pm

jrodriguez wrote:... ...The long branch is a sacrificial limb... ...
I would suggest that you apply the same to your olive, KoPiSan. This way the thin branches will get thicker.
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  jrodriguez Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:26 pm

Any updates?
jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:03 pm

WOW, JL, what a beauty.

Collecting an old tree from a mountainside and turning it into a bonsai over the course of a few months or years is one thing, and no doubt takes certain skill. But to take a stick in a pot and turn it into a tree like this over 40 years is the true measure of talent, imho.

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down