Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blackthorn in the US?

3 posters

Go down

Blackthorn in the US? Empty Blackthorn in the US?

Post  bumblebee Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:19 am

Is there any place here in the US that sells the blackthorn? Any luck growing it here?

Libby

bumblebee

Back to top Go down

Blackthorn in the US? Empty Re: Blackthorn in the US?

Post  Kev Bailey Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:59 am

If the blackthorn you are talking about is Prunus spinosa if it's not there already, don't introduce it! It is seen as a terribly invasive weedy species by farmers and landowners here in the UK. It spreads rapidly by suckering and forms impenetrable thickets.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bumblebee Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:08 pm

Yes, that the one I talking about. I've fallen in love with those contorted branches on the ones I've seen here. I have a way of wanting trees I can't grow. I want a larch and white bark birch trees, too, but they can't survive down here.

Libby

bumblebee

Back to top Go down

Blackthorn in the US? Empty Blackthorn in the US

Post  bonsaisr Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:24 pm

Kev Bailey wrote:If the blackthorn you are talking about is Prunus spinosa if it's not there already, don't introduce it! It is seen as a terribly invasive weedy species by farmers and landowners here in the UK. It spreads rapidly by suckering and forms impenetrable thickets.
Too late. It is already naturalized in the Northeast, Michigan, Tennessee, Missouri, the Pacific Northwest, & parts of Canada. It may not be in the trade if it is considered invasive, but if you are near any of the above states, it may be available for collecting.
Otherwise, there are numerous equivalent American Prunus species that are used for bonsai, such as black cherry.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:37 am

Ah, so you are OK for Sloe Gin if you live in any of those states then. drunken
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down