Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question about field growing.

+4
JimLewis
Dave Murphy
0soyoung
Mr. Carter
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Question about field growing.   - Page 2 Empty Re: Question about field growing.

Post  Mr. Carter Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:01 am

So not digging or at least loosening the ground won't cause any issues? Like drainage issues or anything?
Mr. Carter
Mr. Carter

Back to top Go down

Question about field growing.   - Page 2 Empty Re: Question about field growing.

Post  lordy Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:02 am

If the tree were just in the ground, depending on where it was, there would be drainage due to a bottomless pit. You seem to be overthinking this. The bonsai pot restricts root growth and therefore tree growth. If the roots are allowed free growth by being in the ground or grow box, the tree develops faster. You can use grow boxes that you build, or get some of these: find TFLAT on this link. http://www.stuewe.com/products/anderson.php
Or you can plant them in the ground, or build wooden boxes, or use plastic boxes. Just give the roots plenty of basically unrestricted growth space. Mother nature will take care of the rest.
lordy
lordy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Carter Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:38 am

Yeah...I do tend to over think things. Sometimes it's a good thing, but not always. I'm thinking that I can find the materials to make this thing and it'll probably cost next to nothing. I might be able to actually make it look some what cool too. I have one more question though. About the soil mix, just any potting soil and compost will do, or should I at least through some extra perlite or vermiculite in to make sure it drains really well?
Mr. Carter
Mr. Carter

Back to top Go down

Post  lordy Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:16 am

vermiculite and perlite would be fine to add. Amendments to the soil which keep it lighter and allow roots to grow better are desireable. You could also add some Turface to help accomplish the same thing. Heavy clay and very rocky soil would be what you want to stay away from. You are not necessarily looking for free draining soil, but keeping it light for easy root growth. Unless you plant in a low lying area, the soil should drain OK naturally. Remember, there is no bottom to this container. Balanced fertilizer is another thing you will want. Now is when you want things growing strong.
lordy
lordy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Carter Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:53 am

I really do appreciate all the help fro every one of you. I might get around to doing this project in the next weekend or two. Do you think it'd be beneficial to anyone on here, if I were to take pictures of the materials, and the steps I take to build it, then post it on this site? Like someone was saying earlier, there is a lot of info out there on stuff like this, but there isn't really anything on this site.
Mr. Carter
Mr. Carter

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:32 pm

Mr. Carter wrote:So not digging or at least loosening the ground won't cause any issues? Like drainage issues or anything?

I don't have any built raised beds now, but when I did I always put landscape cloth under the beds both to keep weeds away and to help keep the roots shallow. The cloth allows water to percolate away under the bed. You really do NOT want the roots to grow downward. Many folks put a 12-inch square of plywood or an old dinner plate a few inches under each tree to guide the roots sideways.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  lordy Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:59 pm

JimLewis wrote:an old dinner plate a few inches under each tree to guide the roots sideways.
I must live under a rock. I have never heard of using an old plate. Tiles or plywood, yes. Plate? Never. What a great idea. Easy to come by, very inexpensive or free even, and even if they break, no big loss. Thanks for the idea Jim. cheers
lordy
lordy

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:42 pm

I would like to see it.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2