Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shimpaku Value ?

+7
littlebobby
NeilDellinger
fiona
Curtis
JimLewis
Garykk
vaiojoe
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Shimpaku Value ? Empty Shimpaku Value ?

Post  vaiojoe Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:59 am

Could someone or several of the more experienced members provide an estimate of what they think the tree is worth. With the images and information provided. It was collected pre WWII Japan then found it's way to Seattle, Washington where it was acquired around 1979. It has been estimated but not confirmed to be around 500 years young.
The tree is NOT for sale. Priceless to us.

Shimpaku Value ? Shimpaku_01

Last edited by vaiojoe on Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added more details)
vaiojoe
vaiojoe

Back to top Go down

Shimpaku Value ? Empty Re: Shimpaku Value ?

Post  Garykk Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:09 am

Let's have a little fun with this one. A online auction with a little why you bid information tagged on. Pretending of course but with sincere bidding values. An auction dry run if you will.
So, I like the history given, tree has nice design, seems to be in good health, needs a professional work up. Probably something like this I would purchase and then donate at a later date to a public collection.
I will start with my bid at $7500.

Garykk

Back to top Go down

Shimpaku Value ? Empty Auction

Post  vaiojoe Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:29 am

Garykk wrote:Let's have a little fun with this one. A online auction with a little why you bid information tagged on. Pretending of course but with sincere bidding values. An auction dry run if you will.
So, I like the history given, tree has nice design, seems to be in good health, needs a professional work up. Probably something like this I would purchase and then donate at a later date to a public collection.
I will start with my bid at $7500.

Thank you for your reply Garykk, and your "BID"

This is a NO RESERVE Auction. lol!
vaiojoe
vaiojoe

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:51 pm

Based on your picture and what I know I can get material like this for, I would not spend more than $2800.

Back to top Go down

Post  Garykk Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:29 pm

Very good. By the way vaiojoe, I am guessing this tree is about 30 inches tall or so from the bottom of the pot ? Smile

Garykk

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:58 pm

Could someone or several of the more experienced members provide an estimate of what they think the tree is worth.

snip

Then why ask? Bragging rights?

I'm always perplexed at why people feel they MUST put a value on everything.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Curtis Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:53 pm

I agree with you Jim, I see no point to this post. If its priceless to you then thats all that matters.
Curtis
Curtis

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:27 pm

I'd be more interested in the plans for its future development, as it appears in the photo to be in need of some restoration. I say appears as it might be a deceptive photo, but to me although it looks healthy it also looks like its had at least a year's excess growth on it. It 's a smashing tree though and whatever it's worth (especially if it was "priceless" to me) I'd be wanting it looking at its best.

Any plans for its future, Vaiojoe?

Last edited by fionnghal on Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added the question I forgot to put in.)
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Garykk Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:10 pm

Just playing......looks like I am going to own it so trying to decide what to do. lol's

__gary

Last edited by Garykk on Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Garykk

Back to top Go down

Shimpaku Value ? Empty It is not Bragging if you can back it up

Post  vaiojoe Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:27 pm

JimLewis wrote:
Could someone or several of the more experienced members provide an estimate of what they think the tree is worth.

snip

Then why ask? Bragging rights?

I'm always perplexed at why people feel they MUST put a value on everything.

Listen you are one of the most negative persons on this forum. Why don't you sit down and have a moment of introspection about you.

If I do not like a topic or post I ignore it... UNTIL NOW Jimmy.
vaiojoe
vaiojoe

Back to top Go down

Shimpaku Value ? Empty No one with credentials

Post  vaiojoe Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:31 pm

Curtis wrote:I agree with you Jim, I see no point to this post. If its priceless to you then thats all that matters.

Here is the reason: There is no one with any credentials within 6 hours of where I am at to give an estimate. Maybe my family and I would like to insure this little tree.?. I understand where you are coming from, please reciprocate the same.
vaiojoe
vaiojoe

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:34 pm

It looks a bit like a tanuki to me; that would prolly reduce it's value to bonsai purists. I can't imagine an insurance company that wouldn't charge you more than it was worth to insure it.

Also, it looks to me that this may be an old tanuki graft. That would reduce its value to purists.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Garykk Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:59 pm

The crowd grows quiet. You can hear a pin drop. The Tanuki alert has been sounded by a patron. Calling in bonsai forensics please before we continue.
Well so far we know it is a bonsai because the tree is in a pot but wait....is a tanuki a bonsai?

__gary

Garykk

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilDellinger Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:41 am

Joe,
Where in Illinois are you? 6 Hours is a long drive, you could make it from Rockford down to Southern, Ill in that time..

I know for a fact that every spring Marco Invernizzi visits Cass Bonsai Gardens just 30 minutes north of St. Louis. Well within driving distance for someone reputable to work on a priceless tree. Besides, tagging on a well known name as having styled the tree may elevate it to "beyond priceless". Also, many work shops in Chicago each year at the MidWest Bonsai show.

Just a couple of ideas. Good luck.

Last edited by NeilDellinger on Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:42 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : icon in wrong spot)

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

Post  littlebobby Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:32 pm

what's a tanuki?
littlebobby
littlebobby

Back to top Go down

Shimpaku Value ? Empty Japanese lore 'tanuki'

Post  Garykk Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:53 pm

Masters of transformation requiring great skill. Also the little animal at times.

Looking back at the juniper, the dead wood almost looks like rocky mountain juniper, stiff and not curly. Maybe it has been grafted with shimp? Just thinking online.

__gary

Shimpaku Value ? 450px-10

Last edited by Garykk on Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Garykk

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick Moquin Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:53 pm

A little Japanese dog Laughing

I couldn't resist.

It's a piece of deadwood in which is attached and grown into some smaller immature stock. Successfully done it can provide the indistinguishable illusion of a very very old tree, when in fact it is not. Having said that, there is nothing wrong owning the piece of art, providing that the price is commensurate with what it actually is a "tanuki" and not an old or collected bonsai.
Rick Moquin
Rick Moquin

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:02 pm

JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Garykk Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:27 pm

This is also a 'tanuki'. Juniper procumbens 'Nana' on Conocarpus erectus.

__gary

Shimpaku Value ? Tanuki11

Last edited by Garykk on Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Garykk

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:43 pm

Rick Moquin wrote:A little Japanese dog Laughing I couldn't resist.
I was going to say that that's a load of Shih Tsu 'til I remembered they were Chinese! Ah well. I'll just need to take that on the Chin Laughing

Anyway. everyone knows that a tanuki is a tree with attached driftwood that has been carved with an Akita.

I challenge everyone to come up with worse.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Kennedy Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:21 pm

Without the benefit of a other pic it aint a tanuki,they are never this good and are commonly done by beginners.Looking at the live veins and branching it is quite obviously a mature tree.
This would retail with a upper 4~near 5 figure price tag in europe,assuming it had a bit of history,i've seen much worse with bmw 3 series price tags attatched
Lee Kennedy
Lee Kennedy

Back to top Go down

Post  littlebobby Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:15 pm

I've heard of driftwood style, but never heard it called Tanuki before. So in essence, you nail a bit of wood to a tree to make it look cooler than it is? Strange idea. confused
littlebobby
littlebobby

Back to top Go down

Post  vaiojoe Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:27 pm

Lee Kennedy wrote:Without the benefit of a other pic it aint a tanuki,they are never this good and are commonly done by beginners.Looking at the live veins and branching it is quite obviously a mature tree.
This would retail with a upper 4~near 5 figure price tag in europe,assuming it had a bit of history,i've seen much worse with bmw 3 series price tags attatched

Thank you for actually replying to my posted question.
vaiojoe
vaiojoe

Back to top Go down

Post  Garykk Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:34 pm

[quote="Lee Kennedy"]Without the benefit of a other pic it aint a tanuki,they are never this good and are commonly done by beginners.
............................................-------.................................

Oh I see...well...cough...well you got to start somewhere and it might as well be a tanuki! cheers
__gary

Garykk

Back to top Go down

Shimpaku Value ? Empty $7500

Post  vaiojoe Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:46 pm

[quote="Garykk"]
Lee Kennedy wrote:Without the benefit of a other pic it aint a tanuki,they are never this good and are commonly done by beginners.
............................................-------.................................

Oh I see...well...cough...well you got to start somewhere and it might as well be a tanuki! cheers
__gary

$7500 ????
vaiojoe
vaiojoe

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next