Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bonsai in Wales

+9
Poink88
Treedwarfer
graham walker
Mark Cooper
marcus watts
fiona
Jeremy
bob hill
paul.spearman
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Bonsai in Wales - Page 2 Empty Re: Bonsai in Wales

Post  Treedwarfer Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:00 pm

SebastianRingo wrote: Can't we raise the level of bonsai awareness & quality without being so negative? A successful & well organized show will draw crowds, no matter where it is held.

A musician playing in local bars will draw a crowd of sorts. The same musician playing in Carnegie Hall will draw a crowd of a different sort. And so it is with bonsai and all other endeavors. Saying that we could do better is no more negative than a pitching coach telling the star opener that he can still improve.

Treedwarfer

Back to top Go down

Post  SebastianRingo Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:22 pm

I agree with projecting some class. But being hoity-toity all the time would be counterproductive in terms of attracting people to bonsai. Most local clubs will use what resources are available at hand, what venues will work with the budget and the crowd that they would want to attract. To cluster venues like school halls & hospitals with seedy hotels is not only condescending but very uninformed. It is good to have the shows in nice & classy venues ONLY if it is within your reach, otherwise, good organization, a dedicated group of people & awesome trees will just as always do the trick. I didn't say settle for anything less. To even argue about this is why people get turned off with the bonsai folks. Superiority complex is such a turn off. If you are good, be proud, but don't strut and put people down, know what I'm sayin'?

Treedwarfer wrote:
SebastianRingo wrote: Can't we raise the level of bonsai awareness & quality without being so negative? A successful & well organized show will draw crowds, no matter where it is held.

A musician playing in local bars will draw a crowd of sorts. The same musician playing in Carnegie Hall will draw a crowd of a different sort. And so it is with bonsai and all other endeavors. Saying that we could do better is no more negative than a pitching coach telling the star opener that he can still improve.

SebastianRingo

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:51 pm

SebastianRingo wrote: know what I'm sayin'?
I think we know what you are saying and some may agree and others may not. I see some valid points in your comments.

But this is the Announcements forum rather than a general discussion one, and the last few comments have now almost totally deflated a thread heralding one particular show.

Why not start your own thread and see what others feel? The Lounge is the right place for it. If you want I can easily hive off the last comments into its own thread.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  DangerousBry Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:20 pm

Really looking forward to the photos from this show. I've been unable to make it. So I feel like I've really missed out big time having seen these taster shots!!

Regards
Bryan
DangerousBry
DangerousBry

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2