Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grape Vine Bonsai

+2
John Quinn
Carolee
6 posters

Go down

Grape Vine Bonsai Empty Grape Vine Bonsai

Post  Carolee Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:57 pm

About two months ago a friend gave me a 'wild' grape vine found growing on her property. I potted it, and it has put out quite a few shoots. I remember someone on this site being very accomplished with grape vines, but I can't remember his name, and when I did a google for grape vine bonsai, I didn't find him: just a lot of 'for sale' sites. Does anyone remember his name and hopefully give me a link? Thanks.
Carolee
Carolee

Back to top Go down

Grape Vine Bonsai Empty Re: Grape Vine Bonsai

Post  John Quinn Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:43 am

Don Ziemann frequently posted about his grapes, but I haven't been able to find a current website for him. I had this grape a few years ago, but lost it one winter.

Grape Vine Bonsai Grape810
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:40 pm

Have you tried looking down the back of the couch, John? Very Happy
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:08 pm

Harleyrider wrote:Have you tried looking down the back of the couch, John? Very Happy

Looking for the website or the grape?? Razz
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  mr treevolution Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:35 am

Grapes make good bonsai, but usually take the form of a heavy trunk which is allowed to run and is then pruned back hard for the next season. I thought that they were quite popular in USA ( anyone?). Saw some great heavy specimens at Herons nursery (Peter Chan UK) when i worked there, they would run and climb away and then have to be pruned and released from the fences.
Would think that if smaller plant was used and kept relatively pot bound, the growth would not be too crazy!

mr treevolution

Back to top Go down

Post  bisjoe Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:26 pm

I have a couple in early stages, but the best one I've seen was at Elandan Gardens, by Dan Robinson. Unfortunately he's not an internet forum participant. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture as it was dormant last time I was there. One nice thing about grapes is that older branch cuttings root well, and give a nice thick, shredded bark trunk quickly.
bisjoe
bisjoe

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:01 pm

I am visiting this page while being searching on the net for grape vine bonsai...
So sad to see two persons participating in this discussion gone from this earth of pain to heaven... Harleyrider and Donald Ziemann...
May their souls rest in peace...
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down