Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

advice needed coastal redwood

3 posters

Go down

advice needed coastal redwood Empty advice needed coastal redwood

Post  john blanchard Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:16 am

Hi, I need as much advice as I can possibly get for my redwood that is still in the ground. Such as why do so many of them have a harsh cut to the leading shoot is it necassary? How are they root pruned,wired and shaped,fertilized,soil. I need to know everything I can find please help
john blanchard
john blanchard

Back to top Go down

advice needed coastal redwood Empty Re: advice needed coastal redwood

Post  cbobgo Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:16 am

Most redwoods have a large trunk chop, because they used to be 30 feet tall or taller. That's how we get such big trunks on them. We chop them down to just a stump, then regrow the top to get taper.

They respond very well to root pruning, if done during the wet time of year. You can remove almost almost all the roots and the tree will grow new ones.

Pruning is primarily aggressive pinching back of the new growth after it extends an inch or two. This will promote back budding and ramification. This has to be done many times throughout the year. Wiring is pretty much standard - downswept branches, generally triangular shaped outline - if you want it to look like a natural Redwood.

For soil I have mine in 2/3 lava 1/2 bark. Fertilize regularly throughout the year.

Search online for pics from Redwood Empire Bonsai Society - they have many nice redwoods displayed at their annual shows.

England is pretty far from their natural habitat - how did you end up with a Redwood there?

- bob

Last edited by cbobgo on Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
cbobgo
cbobgo

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch Thomas Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:35 pm

John
We treat Dawn Redwood the same as Bald Cypress. it should be very close in horticulture and trunk reducing techniques. I would Check with the local club for thier advise and time schedules.

Mitch advice needed coastal redwood 290456

Last edited by Mitch Thomas on Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mitch Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  cbobgo Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:47 pm

Uh, Mitch, it was John that asked for advice not me (bob). Also, he is talking about Coast Redwood, which is a fair bit different than Dawn Redwood or Bald Cypress - not being deciduous.

- bob
cbobgo
cbobgo

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch Thomas Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:22 pm

Oops -bob
Sorry, point and edit made. I didnt realize they were different.

Mitch

Sequoia sempervirens (pronounced /sɨˈkɔɪ.ə sɛmpərˈvaɪrənz/[1]) is the sole living species of the genus Sequoia in the cypress family Cupressaceae (formerly treated in Taxodiaceae). Common names include coast redwood, California redwood, and giant redwood

Mitch Thomas

Back to top Go down

advice needed coastal redwood Empty Thanks for the reply

Post  john blanchard Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:01 am

Thanks for the replies guys much happier to go ahead now I'am from the north east of England where we do very well with Horthorn I found my redwood at a local garden centre years ago and was suprised too. I've reduced the height 3times and might lift it next year or the year after they really are something special ive been thinking about using some of the side branches as more trunks like a chandelier after seeing a picture of a full sized one, quite excited!
john blanchard
john blanchard

Back to top Go down

advice needed coastal redwood Empty Uh oh

Post  john blanchard Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:02 am

Think I've made a mistake, mine is deciduous, I think it is a Dawn Redwood. I've been doing a bit of searching and I think I had it wrong, sorry will the training advice be the same or is there anything more I should know?
john blanchard
john blanchard

Back to top Go down

Post  cbobgo Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:00 am

Styling is about the same. I'm not sure about rootwork or pinching on Dawn Redwood, as I don't have any of those.

- bob
cbobgo
cbobgo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down