Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just got my first ever tree, a little advice needed, please...

3 posters

Go down

Just got my first ever tree, a little advice needed, please... Empty Just got my first ever tree, a little advice needed, please...

Post  BonsaiBaby Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:17 pm

Hello everyone, I just joined a few minutes ago after getting my 1st ever Bonsai tree today... thumbs up

I have always loved Bonsai, my mother used to have quite a few when I was little and now that I am grown and living with my fiance, I wanted one for myself.

I LOVE red Maple! Unfortunately, we live in a 1st floor flat with no balconies or anything and it is boiling in here in the summer so I didn't want to get one and kill it because it'd have to stay indoors all the time. I didn't even know the local shop I got it from, sold them until today and was looking at online trees.

Anyway, I went in today and there were 2 green Maples and a red Maple Sad along with other trees. I spotted this one and thought "he's lovely" but at that point I assumed it was an outdoor tree as it was next to the Maples. I looked anyway and when I saw "Where: INDOORS" I grabbed it and ran to the till lol! We want to move soon, so if we get somewhere with any access like a balcony, perhaps even a garden Wink I know where I can get my Maples Very Happy

The woman there was very helpful and knowledgeable as well so I feel happy buying her trees. She said I can come back any time if I need advice etc. I've taken a few pictures and the tag says it's a Chinese Privet (Ligustrum nitida). Any advice on this species? I know that they are hardy trees so even though I was worried I'd damage it, I've given it a little pruning which you can see in the pictures. I followed the advice in the book I bought on their care while I was in the shop. Any advice on further pruning would also be appreciated... Cool

Thank you... and thanks in advance for any replies (Going to put this pig in because I thinks it's cute, lol).
cheers

Before pruning (excuse my toes and the Guinea Pig's hay on the floor, please lol)
Just got my first ever tree, a little advice needed, please... Beforepruning

After Pruning
Just got my first ever tree, a little advice needed, please... Afterprune1 (left)
Just got my first ever tree, a little advice needed, please... Afterpruneright (right)
Just got my first ever tree, a little advice needed, please... Afterpruneback (back)
Just got my first ever tree, a little advice needed, please... Afterprunefront (front)
BonsaiBaby
BonsaiBaby

Back to top Go down

Just got my first ever tree, a little advice needed, please... Empty Re: Just got my first ever tree, a little advice needed, please...

Post  Storm Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:40 pm

Welcome to the World of Bonsai!
Im not an expert. I see myself just like you as a beginner. For starters, dont do too much to it. Let it grow and be healthy so you can see how it takes your treatment. If you do too much too early, you wouldnt know what killed it, if it would die.
Look at pictures of old bonsai trees, see how the branches and trunks are shaped. Where the foliage are etc.
There isnt really something called an indoor tree, just some that will survive longer than others. All my trees are outside in the summer, from natives to tropicals. When the not-frost hardy are here in the winter, I have them in the best lit window, I have with as little draft as possible.
Most trees will die indoors, if your not very very good at keeping them healthy.
I dont know what shop you went to, but too many are lousy at keeping trees healthy, and dont know what care to give them. Read up what you can about how you take care of it on this site and other good sites. One I think is nice is bonsai4me, which explains alot of techniques etc.
The most important in what keeps a tree healthy is the soil. Does it look like a thick damp soil, maybe with clay mixed into it?

Good luck on your journey!
Storm.
Storm
Storm

Back to top Go down

Just got my first ever tree, a little advice needed, please... Empty Re: Just got my first ever tree, a little advice needed, please...

Post  fiona Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:34 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Storm has given you good advice to start with.

Whereabouts in the UK are you? If you are anywhere near Birmingham it would be a good idea to get along to the Botanic Gardens this weekend to see trees and to meet some of the people involved in UK bonsai - and a lot of them are leading lights on here as well. It would be well worth the trip as it is a lot easier to get beginners that head start they need when done as a face to face.

Failing that, is there a club nearby that you could join to get the best advice on your practice tree and any future acquisitions?

Good luck

Fiona

fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  BonsaiBaby Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:33 pm

Hi and thank you both for the replies.

I am in Newquay, Cornwall and as far as I know, there are no clubs near me. I am originally from south London my mother used to know a club in the area we lived but as you can imagine, that's over 250 miles away now...

I'll look into it further and thanks again
BonsaiBaby
BonsaiBaby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down