Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coastal Redwood

4 posters

Go down

Coastal Redwood  Empty Coastal Redwood

Post  tlstar Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:02 am

Hi, I'm Tim and new to this site. I've tried bonsai years ago, but all I did was kill them. I pretty sure I over watered them. I bought a coastal redwood in December and have managed to keep it alive this long. But know the leaves are turning brown. I have a feeling it's not getting enough water, but with my history I'm worried about over watering it. I live close to puget sound in the foothills of the cascades.

Thanks in advance for any help

Tim

tlstar

Back to top Go down

Coastal Redwood  Empty Coastal Redwood Watering

Post  MKBonsai Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:12 am

The key to health is good drainage, normally through the use of a soil mix that contains a mix of small and large particles of soil and gravel or one of the other mixes that can be found on this website in advice from members (such as Akadama or other similar substances such as cat litter made from fired clay granules) and keeping the plant watered so that it remains slightly damp for most of the time without the soil mix becoming totally dry at any point. A mix of sun and shade helps most plants as this provides essential sunlight whilst not overpowering the trees ability to deal with high levels of water loss through having it in full sun all the time.

A picture or two of the whole tree and pot etc may help in case its not a water related issue, along with some info about where, when, how the tree was obtained, and whether it has been repotted and looked after in other respects, such as frequency of watering, soil mix, pot size, etc, etc.
MKBonsai
MKBonsai

Back to top Go down

Coastal Redwood  Empty Re: Coastal Redwood

Post  tlstar Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:34 pm

I hope the pics came out ok. I got the tree from Eastern Leaf in December. Everything was ok until spring. I started watering every other day but the needles still turned brown. I cut back on the watering, nothing changed. They're fresh buds blooming, so I don't know what's wrong. It's in the original pot and soil. I put some moss on top of the soil and started misting it 2or 3 times a day. I think that might be helping. I'll see how it looks in a few days.

Thanks

Tim

tlstar

Back to top Go down

Post  tlstar Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:48 pm

Try this again

tlstar

Back to top Go down

Coastal Redwood  Empty No pics

Post  MKBonsai Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:32 pm

Unfortunately I can't see the pictures yet.

JT
MKBonsai
MKBonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  tlstar Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:53 pm

I think I have it this time

Coastal Redwood  Image24u

Coastal Redwood  Image24

tlstar

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:15 pm

Tim, you have used the thumbnail option I think.  

Dont want to put you down but did you look at this:    https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t243-b-tutorial-on-posting-pics

Have reposted your image for you.

Coastal Redwood  Image24
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  tlstar Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:32 pm

Thank you. I've had problems with this site. I can't login on my computer or iPad. I have to use my iPhone.

tlstar

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayhawker Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:29 am

Tim,

As others have said drainage is key, however sequoia like to be moist. I have a giant sequoia in training and I actually added peat moss (the fine stuff not the sphagnum moss) to my normal fast draining mix and it has been thriving. Check out this website for good some info on redwoods https://www.giant-sequoia.com/about-sequoia-trees/giant-sequoia-bonsai-care/

Redwoods do not like there roots disturbed and trimming the white root tips when repotting can be deadly. That said, I would carefully remove it from the bonsai pot and slip it into a larger pot with a fast draining mix. Check the roots and see if they are rotting.

Good Luck!

Jayhawker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down