Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Succulent Bonsai

+9
Tom Simonyi
-Brent-
Justin Hervey
Todd Ellis
coh
Ryan
Joel T
graham walker
Andre Beaurain
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Succulent Bonsai - Page 2 Empty Re: Succulent Bonsai

Post  Andre Beaurain Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:58 am

Tom I like your Brighamia, is it family of the Cussonia, and does it form a caudex?

Jesse, I have also tried my hand at succulent penjing, here is one of my Karoo landscapes, most of the plants are indigenous, but there are a couple of American cactussus ( mammilaria plumosa, and some echiverias), there also used to be many more stones to enhance the plants,but as the plants grew the stones got moved to the side. I also left the dead adromiscus, to make it more Karoo like... makes your mind wonder even more about life and decay... This landacape planting is now 8 years old. Have got another landscape planting of the 'Thickets' on the east coast, but it is 3m x 1,8, will post a pic later.
Succulent Bonsai - Page 2 Karoo_11

Graham, nice meeting you!! will chat to you soon in private. We have got All the Haworthia species in our collection, an many of the varieties, I also LOVE them. And yes finding them in the wild is almost impossible!!!!

Rhoeda and Ndleong (phew what a name) thanks for commeting, I agree, the experts will know and aslong as we are having ~FUN!

Last edited by Andre Beaurain on Tue May 08, 2012 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:06 pm

Good day, Andre: I am pleased that you like my composition. Actually Brighamia is a perennial species belonging to the family Campanulaceae...I do not believe that it forms a caudex. Hope this helps....good hearing from you.

Regards,
tom
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Tue May 08, 2012 10:20 am

graham walker wrote:Andre

Interesting observations on root prunig. I imagine in your climate they will root up fairly easily?

Keep growing them well
Regards
Graham

Hi guys and gals.

My Aloe plicatilis bonsai blew out of the pot,....for I have pruned the roots a month ago, (its a winter grower)
but now you can see clearly that the pruned roots didnt grow adall. In fact they rot away. You can see two new roots emerging from the base.

Root pruning is the only way to bonsai tree Aloes. Most tree aloes are single stemmed, the ones that do grow arborete, like dicotoma and ramosissima doesnt grow crowns again if you cut below the leave line.
Ofcourse besides rootpruning, is underpotting and underfeeding also 'good' for Bonsai Succulents... ( O gawd here we go again... Laughing )

Succulent Bonsai - Page 2 Aloe_r11
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Wed May 09, 2012 3:58 am

Andre Beaurain wrote:She's 11 years old, never fruited!!

This is actually Musella lasiocarpa, not your typical banana. It has a really odd flower like a big yellow artichoke and doesn't produce anything like typical grocery store bananas.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Wed May 09, 2012 6:55 am

Yes I know, The Golden Lotus banana.

Do you think it wont flower as bonsai?
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Wed May 09, 2012 1:08 pm

That's a good question Andre. If it has been at this for 11 years and you haven't seen anything yet I'd begin to wonder. Personally, I've never found any of the larger bananas to be happy in a pot for very long but some of the smaller ones like this and 'Siam ruby' (a true Musa) seem better adapted to pot culture.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2