Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bonsai benches

5 posters

Go down

Bonsai benches Empty Bonsai benches

Post  Simo44 Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:53 pm

I've decided that it's time for a decent area for my tree's. With 2 boys under 7 and a Boxer dog pup, I need somewhere to try and keep the tree's at a safe height and to show them off a bit better.

D.I.Y wise, I'm pretty crap. Does anyone have any plans or pics for inspiration?

Simo44

Back to top Go down

Bonsai benches Empty Re: Bonsai benches

Post  Poink88 Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:58 pm

Check this.

http://www.bonsaiempire.com/miscellaneous/building-bench

Considered building some myself but went the cheap, fast route and bought some steel shelvings instead. Embarassed Steel hopefully should last longer too.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  crust Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:39 pm

The tiered benches have there pros and cons sometimes a single hieght bench is better. If you are unhandy or busy hire a carpenter. building things like this is a snap for them. Use treated or rot resistant materials and screws such as used for building a deck. Specify hieght, width and length (such as approx. 30"x 24"x 96"). If you have a permanent place consider embedding vertical posts in the earth. Use burial rated material for this. I embed 2 treated 6x6 posts 2 feet into the ground, add 2x6 double cross t's to top of posts with lag bolts to bear frame, add 2x6 frame to cross t's, add more cross blocking then cover with decking boards. I down-size the frame so the decking works out with a 1 inch over hang everywhere. You can make a free standing one similar to this by using 4- 4x4 legs insted of the 2 embedded 6x6s. One can also make small free standing custom tiered assemblies to sit on beches like these if you want. Good luck.

crust

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:46 pm

You might try the search function here. I seem to recall that this topic has come up a time or two before.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Fore Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:10 pm

I also went cheap but not too ugly. I bought cement blocks for the base, and polyurethaned cedar planks for the shelves. I've seen better, and I've seen worse lol
Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down