Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bonsai Material Advice

3 posters

Go down

Bonsai Material Advice Empty Bonsai Material Advice

Post  bonsai monkey Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:40 pm

If 2009 taught me anything it’s how little I really know when it comes to our beloved ‘ickle trees. With this in mind and after much contemplation of m’navel, I’ve decided to go back to school!! The search continues for a teacher that A) ain’t gunna cause me to re-mortgage the house or scare the B’Jesus outta me and B) ain’t gunna cost me the earth in fuel to get there, but that’s a different story.

So Here's my main point.
I feel that I’ve got enough “rubbish” at home to practice on whilst I learn but when the time comes for me to shell out some serious cash for, well for me anyway, am I better to go for a Nursery tree or a really nice piece of Yamadori? The later really floats my boat at the moment but is this the best route? I was once told that “A £500 tree will always be worth £500 (unless I get my hands on it!!), but a £500 piece of raw material could, and should, be worth a lot more 10 years down the line”. I know that we shouldn’t really always look at the £££’s involved but I’m really trying to get as much “bang for my bucks” as I’m not exactly rolling in the green stuff.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Regards,
Simon
Dumb & getting Dumber!!
bonsai monkey
bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Bonsai Material Advice Empty https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/bonsai-questions-f7/bonsai-material-advice-t2057.htm#19618

Post  Guest Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:08 pm

I would go for the native Yamadori myself and you can really put your mark on it. Any thing specific your after?

Back to top Go down

Bonsai Material Advice Empty Re: Bonsai Material Advice

Post  bonsai monkey Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:17 pm

Hi Will,
I was thinking, or have been, going native with the Yamadori choice.
There's so much out there for sale it makes my head spin but I would like to put my mark on a tree (but not odd looking and totally out of proportion like me!) and feel that this would be easier to achieve this way rather than nursery stock.

I'm not really looking at the mo Will but rather trying to get some feedback on the right path to take, I'm so sick of getting lost Crying or Very sad

I suppose I'd better find a Bonsai Sat-Nav!!!

Okk, Okk,
Simon
bonsai monkey
bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:41 pm

I can be objective... even though I trade yamadori.

A universal truth is money invested in quality is never money wasted. This was told me by Dan Barton.. and it was in reference to bonsai tools, but the same applies to just about anything in life.

Spending £500 is a lot of money, but spent wisely will get you a lot of tree. Faisal had searched for a great Yew for ages throughout many nurseries but when he saw exactly what he wanted he did not hesitate in buying. So do not rush into buying too quickly, and take good advice from those you trust... also be wary of buying just from photos.. Ebay for example... you MUST see the tree in 3D and in real life... and take on board what Enrico said at Burrs about purchasing recently collect trees.

WE have only a short time on this little green planet, don't waste one moment.

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:47 pm

Hi Simon
The yamadori route is definitely the way to go if you enjoy the process or creating your own little piece of art. Do you have access to field grown material near where you live? When I first started bonsai I bought a few trees from a nursery because I liked the look of them, but as my interest grew in the subject I found that I gave them away in favour of the trees I had collected myself (with permission). Personally I find I have more of a connection to collected material than I could ever have with something bought, but that’s just me.

You have an interesting dilemma …….Good luck! Smile
Russ.
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsai monkey Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:58 pm

Tony wrote:I can be objective... even though I trade yamadori.

So do not rush into buying too quickly, and take good advice from those you trust... and take on board what Enrico said at Burrs about purchasing recently collect trees.

WE have only a short time on this little green planet, don't waste one moment.

A slight contadiction on timings Tony but good advice none the less.
I will always take advice from people I trust, and I do count you Tony, in what ever I do that is out of my comfort zone and will continue to do so. The figure I used was only for an example but I do appreciate that I will probably have to shell out at least 4 time the most that I have ever spent on a tree affraid

Russ
I live in Kent and don't really have too many collecting sites, that I'm aware off, in my area although I'm hoping to go somewhere local with Stone Monkey this year.
It is a dilemma Russ but I think that I will have more than enough time to try and get more competent before I have to make that choice!!

Trying to "Stop dreaming & start doing!"
Simon
bonsai monkey
bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:11 pm

Tony and Russ are quite right. You will get far more enjoyment and connection from yamadori, whether you buy it from someone, or dig it up yourself. Personally the later as you select it, care for it, learn the trees individual characteristics and then style it. Collecting yourself, in my opinion is the best way of learning and considering what type of material you want. Kent is absolutely full of quality yamadori, as I have seen loads of it Very Happy Get your boots on and brush the cobwebs off your spade. YOU WON'T REGRET IT!!!
PS Still waiting to see a pic of your lonicera Rolling Eyes Very Happy

Last edited by will baddeley on Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:51 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  littleart-fx Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:53 pm

if u care for an opinion my whise,.......collecting is one of the good things to do, if it's the first time.....conceder loss of trees you've collected.

buying a pre bonsai and none the less nursery or yami it has to suit u, any tree has to.
If u are buying there has to be a factor of woow,.....for instance if i go with fellow bonsai enthousists into a nursury stock or forrest the tend to warn me for machielistic tree's i have a taste for elve like happening tree's
they know and i know, if there aren't any my money stays put.

In short do you know what u are looking for and what suits u.
Instand bonsai yami trees are expensive even so good nurse material, but does the tree suit u?

i can wonder around trees, even bought ones for months,.....they tel me what to become, at buying grounds they show a glance of that
somewhere underbelly feeling and knowledge.

The most expensive tree i bought was 3 years ago,.....is now in its first stages of styling......i know/knew where to go with it
but it takes a whole lot of respect and knowledge to be in the leading way...

good hunting, and know where to hunt,!!!!

in short short, if the tree suites you'll have a companion and u will take it up to higher levels with or without help!

Very Happy
littleart-fx
littleart-fx

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down