Is this tree bonsai material?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Is this tree bonsai material?

Post  SidneyDR on Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:17 pm

Hi,
In my mother's garden is this small growing tree.
It is more than 15 years old, because 15 years ago she asked the neighbours if she could have it because they were going to throw it away when they moved. She planted it in the garden and it has grown well since but my mother is having health issues and is not able to care for it. I've been thinking and wondering if I could turn this little one into a bonsai. I don't know the name of the tree nor the kind. I can't even see the trunk because it is covered in branches.
I would love to hear some opinions. What should I do?

SidneyDR

Back to top Go down

Re: Is this tree bonsai material?

Post  kevin stoeveken on Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:33 pm

per the pictures, it does not appear to be a likely candidate...

if it has sentimental value, perhaps you could just dig it up and get it into a large pot...

AAC Original Milwaukee Wi. Chapter - North America

aka beer city snake
link to ARBOR ARTS COLLECTIVE BLOG
kevin stoeveken

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood on Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:16 pm

kevin stoeveken wrote:per the pictures, it does not appear to be a likely candidate...

if it has sentimental value, perhaps you could just dig it up and get it into a large pot...

I agree. This is one of those most often encountered Cypress/Cedar type shrubs that look good in a landscape for a while but never develop into anything that has the characteristics necessary for bonsai.
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary on Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:44 am

Vance Wood wrote:
kevin stoeveken wrote:per the pictures, it does not appear to be a likely candidate...

I agree.  This is one of those most often encountered Cypress/Cedar type shrubs that look good in a landscape for a while but never develop into anything that has the characteristics necessary for bonsai.
I hate it when that happens

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  SidneyDR on Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:41 pm

Hi,

Thank you for helping me.
I think I will try and prune it and put it in a large pot.
Very Happy At least the tree will have more room then.

SidneyDR

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood on Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:00 pm

SidneyDR wrote:Hi,

Thank you for helping me.
I think I will try and prune it and put it in a large pot.
Very Happy At least the tree will have more room then.

The last thing in the world I desire to do is to discourage you from this project. I understand the sentimental value and I agree with putting it into a larger pot and growing it as a patio plant. However there are some trees that have growth patterns that almost totally exclude them from becoming a decent bonsai, and I am afraid this is one of them. Great ornamental but lousy bonsai.
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  kevin stoeveken on Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:14 pm

of course, once it is in a pot, you could then begin to apply some bonsai techniques such as creating empty space in the foliage, maybe wire some branches into a more pleasing arrangement... simple but satisfying things that will at least tidy it up a bit and make it a more appealing potted shrub...

in other words, you can still have fun with it !

AAC Original Milwaukee Wi. Chapter - North America

aka beer city snake
link to ARBOR ARTS COLLECTIVE BLOG
kevin stoeveken

Back to top Go down

Post  augustine on Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:48 pm

It's a good landscape plant, hardy and will remain healthy with no effort from you.

This will make a terrible bonsai and could die if you mess with it. It would take years to reduce it to a series of smaller pots. If you just dig and chop it down to a pot it will probably die. The foliage is way up on the ends of the branches and these do not backbud.

Look around and find something better to collect. Azaleas are easy to collect and make nice bonsai (the type with small leaves).

Leave it be. (In a couple of years you'll figure out what a terrible bonsai candidate it is and be glad you left it in the landscape.)

All this being said I figure you are going to dig it up.

augustine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum