Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IBC on helping newbies...

+10
marcus watts
adam1234
jgeanangel
coh
EdMerc
drgonzo
JimLewis
fiona
Orion
Poink88
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

IBC on helping newbies... - Page 2 Empty Re: IBC on helping newbies...

Post  fiona Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:19 am

I had a look at the statistics this morning and noticed another factor that has to be taken into consideration here, and that is quite simply the sheer volume of topics now on IBC. On average we are sitting at well over 200 new topics per month. With Bonsai and Bonsai Questions still being the most populated boards what this inevitably means is that a new topic on there - unless it instantly gives rise to a large volume of responses - can very quickly get pushed right down the index and possibly even on to the next page. This effectively renders it "invisible" and I'd would imagine this problem is magnified if a new topic coincides with one which has generated a lot of interest. I suspect that is what has happened to Dario's cedar elm thread, and in that particular case I can fully understand his frustration at not receiving any responses despite 460 views.

fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:45 am

newbies can also think a bit for them selfs, look through the boards, many things are already beiing answered before.
Of course its a shame if get no answers at all and can imagine you get frustrated.

Me for one is tiered of all ficus and serrisa questions affraid , also I live in a non tropical inveronment.
The group thingy is already beiing ansered before, a lott of us not so newbys have known eatch other for some time both personal and pc like.
And you have to admit theyre trees look much better (most of the time).

Peter
landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:32 pm

landerloos wrote: (amended) I for one am tired of all ficus and serrisa questions
That's just something we have to put up with in an international site such as IBC and for every one person who is not interested in ficus etc. there are others who for the same reason are not interested in Larix decidua or other temperate trees. I personally like to see the wonderful trees posted by Jun et al that I will never be able to grow in my climate zone, but I would never answer a question on one of these species* as they are just not within my experience. I would, however, point a new poster to a previous thread if I was aware of one. That's the give and take we need to make the forum work.

* The exception to this would be where it is a newcomer to bonsai in the UK who is trying to grow a tropical tree - I would probably comment on the likely issues they will encounter.

Last edited by fiona on Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:27 pm

fiona wrote: I would, however, point a new poster to a previous thread if I was aware of one.

I've done that with ginkgo and schefflera questions that show up from time to time. Some questions don't get many answers, or none at all, because we've already covered it. That SEARCH bar is a wonderful tool if people would use it.

Then there are the "I just got this a a gift, what is it, and how do I take care of it?" questions...

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:42 pm

coh wrote:This is pretty typical of internet forums. People tend to lavish praise on the beautiful trees (or whatever the subject is)...it's a lot easier to post "Beautiful tree! I love it" then to think about how to improve a tree, then write it all down. A lot of times the photos provided are not very useful - too dark, bad angle, etc. I'm not saying this is the case with the OP, just in general.

Also, people do tend to respond to "friends" more often. It works both ways - there are people who only post in their own threads and never take the time to comment on things posted by others. It should be give and take...

As for not taking criticism well...I believe if you post something, you should be prepared to accept both good and bad comments, as long as they are constructive. I was a member of an art forum for a while, and people became so defensive about criticism that a rule was implemented that you couldn't critique a painting unless the poster specifically requested it in the post. While I can see some merit to that, the forum basically disintegrated into a love-fest where every painting was "beautiful, wonderful, etc".

Chris

Chris,

Well said and true in so many levels.

Re: give and take, I would love to share but being new, I really don't have much to say. I assure you, as I learn, I will be all over the boards (I might be asked to stop or slow down LOL)
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:43 pm

I do not know if I got the best advise but something is better than nothing

Oh, No! "Nothing" is often MUCH better than the something you get on some of the other forums.

As Fiona said, beginner's posts often float right off the bottom of the page -- especially in the Bonsai forum. If you get no answer before that happens, it is perfectly all right to bring it back to the top with something like, "Doesn't anyone have something to say? I really do need help."

And, as others have said, it sometimes is HOW you ask, not what.

And, keep in mind that many of us don't reply when we don't have any answer to offer. It seems silly write a message saying "I don't do XXXXX species, so I have no Idea." That's the main reason I seldom respond to cultural questions about tropicals -- unless they are VERY general and basic -- or about willow leaf figs <g>)

(And, if anyone does respond with advice about a species he or she knows little or nothing about, the response certainly should be accompanied by a caveat that they may not know what they're talking about.)

Keep plugging. We're not trying to discourage you.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:56 pm

I am happy to report that Dario's on a roll now with the urban yamadori thread.

I think we put this one to bed now as we're all saying the same things but with maybe a few lessons learned on all sides. Bottom line is it's all about give and take. Bit like life really. Wink
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:58 pm

ONE more thing:

As Russell and Fiona pointed out toward the end of the Cedar Elm thread,
THINK CAREFULLY ABOUT THE TITLE YOU PUT ON YOUR POST.

Help with Cedar Elm is a heckuva lot more informative[/b] than Help! by itself.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:37 pm

JimLewis wrote:ONE more thing:

As Russell and Fiona pointed out toward the end of the Cedar Elm thread,
THINK CAREFULLY ABOUT THE TITLE YOU PUT ON YOUR POST.

Help with Cedar Elm is a heckuva lot more informative[/b] than Help! by itself.

YUP! You got it right Jim! cheers

A good movie with a poor title will not achieved the same number of movie watchers as the one with good title.

...we should always keep life interesting,,,posts and title included. sunny

Dario,

I am very much honored to be on that "elite list"....but please I am not a master! Wink I am just happy "competing" or annoying those experts on that list. Evil or Very Mad hehehe. but thanks anyway for being entertained. you too my dear Fiona.

Remember my fellow beginners.( I hate "newbie" word too)... My momma said-"Life is like a box of chocolates, You never know what you're gonna get"-------But please! wrap the darn chocolate box properly and nicely! hehehe.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:02 pm

As Fiona said:

I think we put this one to bed now as we're all saying the same things but with maybe a few lessons learned on all sides. Bottom line is it's all about give and take. Bit like life really. Wink

So, let's talk about something else and someWHERE else.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2