Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for a source of ulmus parvifolia seedlings

+2
RKatzin
timahlen
6 posters

Go down

Looking for a source of ulmus parvifolia seedlings Empty Looking for a source of ulmus parvifolia seedlings

Post  timahlen Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:29 pm

Hi All,
I need to do some root grafting and am looking for a good source for ulmus parvifolia seedlings in the Dallas/ Fort Worth area, or a reliable mail order outfit. Anyone know of a nursery that stocks them?

Tim Ahlen

timahlen

Back to top Go down

Looking for a source of ulmus parvifolia seedlings Empty Re: Looking for a source of ulmus parvifolia seedlings

Post  RKatzin Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:11 pm

Hi Tim, you might check Dallas Bonsai Gardens. They don't list them, but they may have seedlings not ready for sale yet. I know my favorite, forestfarm.com, lists a few tubes for $12.95, a most reliable source.
RKatzin
RKatzin

Back to top Go down

Looking for a source of ulmus parvifolia seedlings Empty Re: Looking for a source of ulmus parvifolia seedlings

Post  Russell Coker Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:24 pm

I don't know if it will do you any good or not, but I can get you all the seed you could want for free.

Why are you grafting elms? Just curious.

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:09 am

Check out Matt Ouwinga at Kaede Bonsai-en he has great stock at a great price and will usually hook you up pretty nice, I've gotten excellent stock from him as have several others on BCI
http://kaedebonsai.com/shop/chinese-elm-ulmus-parvifolia/
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  timahlen Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:47 am

Thanks, All. I live about three miles from Dallas Bonsai. I'll give them a call next week. The other suggestions will serve as second choice.

Russell, I have a mature elm I've tended for about 20 years. When I first got it, its roots were like a three-legged stool, so I airlayered it to develop the nebari. It did really well, except for a couple of bare spots that calloused over and now won't put out any roots. Root grafts are about the only thing that will fix it. Thanks for the seed offer. I know Dallas Bonsai has them-- I just didn't want to wait another year for the seedlings to develop.

Merry Christmas All,
Tim

timahlen

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:58 pm

a couple of bare spots that calloused over and now won't put out any roots

If you damage the callused area and apply Rootone, I bet you get roots.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  timahlen Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:46 pm

Jim,

I've actually tried that for the last five years in every combination and permutation of methods I know. Last summer, I came across an article that said that elms don't like to put out new roots from calloused tissue. I don't know if it's right or not, but it's convinced me to try root grafting! Very Happy

Merry Christmas!
Tim

timahlen

Back to top Go down

Post  felixd Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:56 am

timahlen wrote:Jim,

I've actually tried that for the last five years in every combination and permutation of methods I know. Last summer, I came across an article that said that elms don't like to put out new roots from calloused tissue. I don't know if it's right or not, but it's convinced me to try root grafting! Very Happy

Merry Christmas!
Tim

Hi Tim, How did the root grafting turn out? Any pics?
felixd
felixd

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down