Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

lightweight artificial rocks/slabs

3 posters

Go down

lightweight artificial rocks/slabs Empty lightweight artificial rocks/slabs

Post  bucknbonsai Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:38 pm

Does anyone know of any good sites or have any info on making LARGE slabs or large artificial rocks for planting on. Hyperfuta and plain cement weigh so much that large size is not an option. I have some old books that mention fiberglass mesh and cement fondue. I can not find cement fondue anywhere, is there something in America that is the same thing? Would a thin layer of cement or cement fondue stick to a fiberglass/resin form to give it a "rock" look, or does the cement have to be integrated into the wire ect. to stay on? thanks.
bucknbonsai
bucknbonsai

Back to top Go down

lightweight artificial rocks/slabs Empty Re: lightweight artificial rocks/slabs

Post  Todd Ellis Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:44 pm

I believe that "Bonsai Today" magazine did a feature with Chase Rosade creating lightweight artificial slabs and big stones. I'm not sure which issue, but I remember reading it a few times.
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  bucknbonsai Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:51 pm

thanks, i found a page about it on the Rosade bonsai studio website in the past but it was just some pictures with no real information.
bucknbonsai
bucknbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:55 pm

The article in the magazine shows a pretty good step by step "how to" with some good photos. Very Happy
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:17 pm

Colin Lewis' "The Art of Bonsai Design" has good how-to info (p. 46). I haven't visited Colin's website for some time, but he used to have full details on making slabs on his old one.

How large is LARGE?
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  bucknbonsai Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:21 pm

3-5 feet long slabs or stones 1x2x2 feet about. Thanks, I believe I have that book, and if I remember correctly I couldnt find the materials he used. cement fondue is something we dont have in the USA I think, but im sure something would work as a substitute.
bucknbonsai
bucknbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down