Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ficus leaf drop

5 posters

Go down

Ficus leaf drop Empty Ficus leaf drop

Post  KevinC Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:13 pm

I know Ficus go through an adjustment period after first getting them however, is it common for them to drop
say 90% of their leaves? Have a lot of new growth coming in so I'm not too worried, curious mainly.

KevinC

Back to top Go down

Ficus leaf drop Empty Re: Ficus leaf drop

Post  JimLewis Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:42 pm

What kind of Ficus and where are you keeping it? Is that environment significantly different from that of wherever it was purchased?
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  KevinC Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:02 pm

It's a Golden Gate ficus I bought from Brussel's Bonsai, USA. I'm pretty sure its not getting the same light
it did at the nursery, medium to low light now, North East window. Leaves have been turning a blotchy yellow
and falling off, don't seem to be losing any of the new growth though. Think at first I watered it a little too
much but have since figured out its water needs.

KevinC

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:45 pm

I have figured out over the past few years that too much water will turn ficus leaves yellow and they drop, and too little water will turn ficus leaves yellow and they drop...its usually a water stress thing. In their way this is how THEY teach you how to water them.

Brussels would have had it in a hot and humid greenhouse, the change in humidity and light exposure causes the sudden freak out and leaf drop. Ficus are unable to move their leaves to catch the sun, so when light conditions change, as in a move indoors or a different exposure, they drop the current leaves (usually interior older leaves) and re-grow new ones in better positions. Ease back on your watering until you see the new leaves develop.

My BIG Benjamina just had her seasonal flip out (outdoors luckily) and probably dropped a 5 gallon bucket full of leaves over the course of a month. Does it every year. Yours will be ok I'm sure. It would be happier if you could get it into a southern exposure though.
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  KevinC Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:16 pm

Thank you for all the info..... it helps. Think I'll mix a little Xanax in the water next time I water
see if that helps!! haha j/k

KevinC

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:28 pm

I don't have much experience with ficus (only picked up my first one about a month ago), but I'd agree about the lighting - north/east window might keep it alive, but it would do much better with a lot more light. I have mine indoors now for the winter, it's under a 4-tube fluorescent fixture with a few other tropicals (which all did well with this set up last winter). Did you pick it up, or was it shipped from Brussels? Days in a dark box would probably cause enough stress alone to cause massive leaf drop.

BTW, I repotted mine (tiger bark ficus) within a week of getting it, it was severely underpotted. Had to keep it indoors for a while too because of bad weather (cool, wet). It only lost about 10% of its leaves even with that. We'll see if it decides to drop more now that it's indoors for the winter.

Chris
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Ice Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:39 am

my ficus constantly sheds its leaves. if you say it has new shoots then i dont i think it's dying

Black Ice

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:10 am

Black Ice wrote:my ficus constantly sheds its leaves. if you say it has new shoots then i dont i think it's dying

I think your ficus will forever drop its leaves...because you are living in the north pole. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down