Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Confused about leaf drop....

+2
Ryan
rrubberbandman
6 posters

Go down

Confused about leaf drop.... Empty Confused about leaf drop....

Post  rrubberbandman Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:44 am

Hi,
What would cause perfectly fine new young leaves to just drop off????
Its my narrow leaf ficus which i have been nursing back to optimal health after some beginner mistakes on watering, fertilizing, and soil choices.
Bryan

rrubberbandman

Back to top Go down

Confused about leaf drop.... Empty Re: Confused about leaf drop....

Post  Ryan Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:47 am

Could be bugs, could be too much water still. Can you post some pics?

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  rrubberbandman Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:50 am

Ryan wrote:Could be bugs, could be too much water still. Can you post some pics?
Actually i made note that soil was extra dry this time when i noticed leaf drop.........

rrubberbandman

Back to top Go down

Post  rrubberbandman Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:51 am

Ryan wrote:Could be bugs, could be too much water still. Can you post some pics?
I actually dislike the photo hosting site we use here it seems so much harder than most sites that allow photo hosting......but what would you like a photo on?
Bryan

rrubberbandman

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:29 am

rrubberbandman wrote:
I actually dislike the photo hosting site we use here it seems so much harder than most sites that allow photo hosting......but what would you like a photo on?
Bryan
Just a picture of the leaves to see if there are any signs of bugs, or of the whole tree. Where is it kept?

I think it's easy as cake to post a picture on here. Just click "Host an image" and upload it. Simple.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Confused about leaf drop.... Empty Leaf Drop

Post  bonsaisr Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:09 am

Willow leaf fig is a bit touchy. It should have been outdoors in the sun all summer. Mine is indoors under lights now, but where you are I think you have a few more weeks. This species insists on perfect drainage & to dry out between waterings. Mine is a shohin tree in a five inch (13 cm) pot, but it insists on a coarse mix. Also they are very susceptible to scale. You will see sticky leaves before you see the scale.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:36 am

rrubberbandman wrote:I actually dislike the photo hosting site we use here it seems so much harder than most sites that allow photo hosting......
As one who uses several photo-hosting sites, I find servimg among the easiest to use.

But our tutorial on posting images gives you a few other options. Why not try one of those?
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:11 am

bonsaisr wrote:Willow leaf fig is a bit touchy... ...
Mrs. Iris, malathion is toxic to willow leaf ficus. I have use malathion (in powder form) for aphids on nearby plants and obviously the wind has put some powder on to the leaves of ficus, so they started dropping. I think you have already mentioned this plant toxicity in another post of you, Mrs. Iris.
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:01 pm

Well, MY figs are indoors now. We're going into the 30s tonight. But as Iris says, willow leaf figs are temperamental; there doesn't have to be anything "wrong" for them to drop leaves.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  rrubberbandman Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:33 pm

I have not seen any bugs except for the occasional spider.....its october and they are plentiful this time of year....i just looked and noted most of the leaves falling are the brand new ones coming out of growth areas.
Should i let this booger dry out till it wilts????
Also my issues with photos is that i cant for the life of me get more than 1 photo loaded......end up posting several of same pic....
Bryan

rrubberbandman

Back to top Go down

Post  rrubberbandman Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:35 pm

Ryan wrote:
rrubberbandman wrote:
Bryan
Just a picture of the leaves to see if there are any signs of bugs, or of the whole tree. Where is it kept?

I think it's easy as cake to post a picture on here. Just click "Host an image" and upload it. Simple.
It has been, for past 2 weeks, outdoors during day and in garage at night.
Bryan

rrubberbandman

Back to top Go down

Confused about leaf drop.... Empty Dropping Leaves

Post  bonsaisr Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:04 pm

rrubberbandman wrote:It has been, for past  2 weeks, outdoors during day and in garage at night.
Bryan
That'll do it! Figs are notorious for not liking being schlepped from one place to another. If your nights are now consistently below 45 F, bring your poor tree into its winter location. I hope you have a bright fluorescent fixture.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  rrubberbandman Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:19 pm

Iris,
I was will be using a 6 tube t5 fixture.

Bryan

rrubberbandman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down