Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ilex Schilling leaf drop???

4 posters

Go down

Ilex Schilling leaf drop??? Empty Ilex Schilling leaf drop???

Post  Jaybird Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:29 am

Two weeks ago I purchased a collected 35 year old Ilex Schilling with a 10 trunk. It has been in the same training pot for the last 12 years. Roots have broken through this shallow pot. I have been thoroughly watering regularly and have fed it once. Suddenly leaves have started dropping and others turned very brown and crisp. I dont see any pests. Can anyone offer a suggestion?

Thanks
Jaybird
Jaybird

Back to top Go down

Ilex Schilling leaf drop??? Empty Re: Ilex Schilling leaf drop???

Post  tap pi lu Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:15 am

I think the leaves fall.If the leaves suddenly occurs, the reason is that the weakening of the plant roots.the case of your tree can be eaten too and too much water. Suffocation
tap pi lu
tap pi lu

Back to top Go down

Post  MrFancyPlants Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:28 am

I'm not real familiar w the species, but especially if the pot was broken, i would let it rest in the ground or a raised bed for a while to recover. Be gentle w the roots, but maybe tease them out just a tad.

It sounds like too much water and/or too strong a fert.
MrFancyPlants
MrFancyPlants

Back to top Go down

Post  JMcCoy Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:41 am

Ilex vomitoria, Dwarf Yaupon Holly (var. Schilling's). You mentioned that leaves are falling.. a photo would help. All plants drop leaves, and broadleaf evergreens often drop old leaves as new ones are produced in the Spring. Make sure it's not just a seasonal shift before taking any drastic actions. If it's suddenly dropping a massive amounts of leaves -

Do you mean that it hadn't been repotted for 12 years? Dwarf Yaupon can go through a gradual weakening over the years if it gets severely root-bound, almost ceasing to grow. In fact, those that are in a tight root-bound pot are much more fragile than any collected from the ground (even with massive roots removed). You need to check on the root situation and see what's going on. Take it out of the pot and see how much soil you have left. Even though you may have been watering it, if it was compacted badly you may not have been soaking the roots but instead allowing water to run around the edges of the pot and out the drain holes. If it is a new plant to you, these are things to inspect.

If the roots are bad and the plant looks to be in poor health, one thing you can do is wrap the roots in a thick layer of Sphagnum moss and place the whole root ball into a larger pot. Keep moist but not wet. It can spur new root growt which will show in the top. When the tree is healthy again, maybe next year, do a normal root pruning and get it sorted out before repotting. When healthy, a tree like yours should be repotted probably every 2-3 years depending on the growth, with the long roots cut back short.

Pests: I don't know your area, but these can get a tiny black scale on the trunk , harmless leaf miners which cause a labyrinth pattern on the leaves, and leaves can be attacked by catapillars, but otherwise are bug resistant.
JMcCoy
JMcCoy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down