Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tree losing leaves

4 posters

Go down

Tree losing leaves Empty Tree losing leaves

Post  Wolftrees Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:04 pm

Hi all, an update on the trees.

I followed the advice I was given elsewhere on this forum to water my trees when the top half inch of soil was dry and water to saturation. I have followed this religiously and also fed them once a week. They seem to like it, so much so that both trees produced new growth after I started watering and feeding them and I actually had to cut the elm back!

However now although the Buddhist Pine seems quite happy, the Chinese Elm is losing leaves all over the place. It dropped a few right from the start, but I think its accelerating now. OK am I being thick and this is what it should do at this time of year?? I would have expected them to turn brown first though.

I should mention that I'm keeping them indoors as I like to see them (no central heating) but they are right by a big window.

Also I suspect I need to trim the Pine but was warned that it is unforgiving. Is there a guide anywhere?
Wolftrees
Wolftrees

Back to top Go down

Tree losing leaves Empty Re: Tree losing leaves

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:29 pm

Elm will be deciduous trees in your climate; it should loose its leaves in the fall. I wouldn't worry, just be careful not to overwater, as it will need less water in winter.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  will baddeley Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:11 pm

Hello Wolftrees. Chinese Elms that rapidly lose their leaves indoors are usually suffering with Red Spider Mite. Are the leaves a mottled yellow?
will baddeley
will baddeley

Back to top Go down

Post  Wolftrees Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:40 pm

Hi Will, thats a no. There is the odd yellowish bit on the odd leaf, but I wouldn't call it mottled.
Wolftrees
Wolftrees

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:43 am

Sounds like normal Autumn leaf drop then. Just be aware that Chinese Elm should be outside, always. Indoors spells doom for them. I have grown 10m trees outdoors in UK with no prob's and easy to airlayer.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down