Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Problem with Stewartia

3 posters

Go down

Problem with Stewartia Empty Problem with Stewartia

Post  Hans Vleugels Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:46 pm

I have this Stewartia for more than a year now. New growth in the spring last year (and also this year) was okay, but when the summer starts (and this for the second year in row) I start getting problems with the leaves of this tree. I made some pictures of the leaves in various stages, maybe someone can tell me what the problem with this tree is.

Problem with Stewartia Bladpr10

Problem with Stewartia Bladpr11

Problem with Stewartia Bladpr12

Problem with Stewartia Bladpr13

Problem with Stewartia Bladpr14

Problem with Stewartia Bladpr15

I always thought it was a fungus problem, and I have treated it both with systemic insecticides (like Baythroid, Masai, Confidor) and different kind of fungicides (like Dequiman, Cupravit, Dithane) but it doesn't seem to stop the problem for now. This tree stands in half shaded postition. Last year it only got tap water, and this year I started with giving it only rainwater. Except for the calcium deposits on the nebari and pot, I didn't see much difference. Maybe it is somekind of wilt or blight, but I am not sure at all.

Any tips of getting rid of this problem are very welcome!

Thanks in advance,
Hans

Hans Vleugels
Hans Vleugels

Back to top Go down

Problem with Stewartia Empty Re: Problem with Stewartia

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:51 pm

If it is a bacteria or virus you might not/probably will not be able to eliminate it.

Have you tried defoliating the tree as soon as new growth hardens in Spring and letting the leaves grow out again?
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans Vleugels Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:14 pm

If I am right Stewartia doesn't like to be defoliated completely. But I have cut the leaves into half, especially the leaves which were affected. I did get some new fresh looking growth, but after some time the new leaves will also start withering. First I get some scorched leaf tips, some leaves look like they have chlorosis, and then they start to wither. At the end the leaves curls inwards from the sides...
Hans Vleugels
Hans Vleugels

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:53 pm

Stewartias have sensetive roots systems. Too much, or too little water causes problems that look like that. The pot seems small, and that sure looks like too much fertilizer. That's where I'd start.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:15 pm

I just noticed all those fertilizer cups on the pot surface. Is fertilizer burn a possibility?

Even overdoing organics can cause burn.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans Vleugels Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:01 pm

Could be I just gave it too much, but I did remove the fertilizer cakes a week or two ago. As a test I defoliated one smaller branch completely, and new buds are now opening slowly, and they are looking fine until now. There is also some new growth on some places which looks okay to me...

Problem with Stewartia Stewar10

Problem with Stewartia New_gr10

Let's hope it stabilizes now...

Thanks for the help!

Hans Vleugels
Hans Vleugels

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down