Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When and how should I sow Japanese black and white pine seeds? (and stewartia, hornbeam, cedar of lebanon and various maples??)

2 posters

Go down

When and how should I sow Japanese black and white pine seeds? (and stewartia, hornbeam, cedar of lebanon and various maples??) Empty When and how should I sow Japanese black and white pine seeds? (and stewartia, hornbeam, cedar of lebanon and various maples??)

Post  luke308 Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:39 pm

Hi all, I am wondering when is the optimum time to plant black pine, and white pine seeds? It is Autumn here in Australia (Adelaide to be exact), and I have some JBP seeds that sprouted about a month ago, however I think they will have trouble surviving the winter (although we dont get snow here, probably lowest temps of 2-3 degrees Celsius) I also have some more JBP seeds and some JWP seeds, I was wondering when is the optimum time to sow, and what is the best method? eg what mix? to stratify or not? etc.

Also I have a bunch of other seeds including Stewartia, Korean Hornbeam, Cedar of Lebanon, Liquidambar formosana, Trident Maple, Amur maple, Shantung maple, and about 10 different varieties of Acer Palmatum cultivars. Could anyone share their knowledge and experience with germinating any of these? Particularly stewartia, cedar of Lebanon and hornbeam as I have never tried to propagate these from seed? I am guessing the liquidambar, Shantung, trident and Amur maples will be very similar to the Japanese maple in propagating from seed? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,
Luke

luke308

Back to top Go down

When and how should I sow Japanese black and white pine seeds? (and stewartia, hornbeam, cedar of lebanon and various maples??) Empty When and how should I sow Japanese black and white pine seeds? (and stewartia, hornbeam, cedar of lebanon and various maples??)

Post  0soyoung Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:57 pm

I think the answer can be found in the Evergreen Gardenworks article How to Germinate Seed for Bonsai. In fact, the collection of articles that Brent Walston has posted on his site is the best single reference on growing plants for bonsai.
0soyoung
0soyoung

Back to top Go down