Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

little black specs on Azalea

+3
Velodog2
Joe Hatfield
austinheitzman
7 posters

Go down

little black specs on Azalea Empty little black specs on Azalea

Post  austinheitzman Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:29 pm

I am attempting to be lazy here so help me out. I am hoping to not have to go through the procedure of taking and uploading a photo, although I know it will help. I have small black specs on my azalea, concentrated near the but but all over the leaves around each bud. I have sprayed with horticultural oil and soapy water, but they don't seem to be going anywhere, in fact I doubt they are bugs at all some times, they don't move, at least that I can tell. Leaf clusters have been turning brown and dying off from time to time, but this could be unrelated, there are some white specks on some leaves but also could just be stress. The tree was collected last year and I would say is still recovering. put out new growth last year, forming buds this year. Should I worry. what do I have. what do i do- do I really have to take a photo. Thanks everyone for the help.

austinheitzman

Back to top Go down

little black specs on Azalea Empty Re: little black specs on Azalea

Post  Joe Hatfield Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:06 am

Take a picture. You know you have to.

I think they are black aphids BTW. And they wont come off unless you remove them sometimes. Even if they ARE dead. Use a sponge or cloth and then throw it away. You have to use the soapy water spray a few times sometimes. Or try the Green alcohol as a secondary. Worked on all the tropicals I used to work with.
Let me ask.. have you seen any damage from these critters?
Joe Hatfield
Joe Hatfield

Back to top Go down

Post  Velodog2 Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:26 am

There are (I believe) lacewing bugs that have killed some of my landscape azaleas in the past that leave small black dots of droppings, and make the leaves seem mottled. The droppings obviously don't move. The bugs are apparently active at night. Find out if this is what the problem is as they will kill your plant in time!

Velodog2

Back to top Go down

little black specs on Azalea Empty lace

Post  austinheitzman Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:12 pm

Lace bugs is what my research suggest, but how do I eliminate them-

austinheitzman

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:14 pm

Soap spray right onto the insects will do it. Or a pyrethrin spray applied to the tree in early evening so you don't kill off any pollinators should do it.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

little black specs on Azalea Empty the moment you've all been waiting for

Post  austinheitzman Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:34 am

Pictures. help me please don't want to loose this puppy.

little black specs on Azalea Azalea11

little black specs on Azalea Azalea12

austinheitzman

Back to top Go down

Post  Velodog2 Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:44 pm

I would say yes this is lacewing. Just go ahead and spray it with the insecticide of your choice. They are not hard to kill. Just do it.

Velodog2

Back to top Go down

little black specs on Azalea Empty one spray and dead?

Post  austinheitzman Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:33 pm

I have already sprayed it several times, mostly at dusk so as not to burn the leaves- It is hard to tell though if I have killed the problem- does a few sprays usually get rid of lacewings or should I repeat this often for a month or so.

austinheitzman

Back to top Go down

little black specs on Azalea Empty same problem

Post  dbar Fri May 01, 2015 5:07 am

I have the exact same thing going on with my jaboticaba tree. I've been fighting with it for months. what ended up working for you?

dbar

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri May 01, 2015 2:00 pm

Do you see any sign of the insects themselves?  None show in your photos.  The pale mottled leaves could be from lacebug -- http://oregonstate.edu/dept/nurspest/azalea_lace_bug%20clup%203.htm -- but lacewing are generally considered to be beneficial.  (You MUST be careful about your insect names.)   The mottled  leaves could be caused by any other of the sucking insects -- aphids, scale, whitefly, etc. but the leaves with brown edges are most likely from something else.  

Soap sprays or pyrethrin sprays (late in the day) should take care of them.  However, the soap sprays MUST be applied directly to the insect, so them must be physically present.  Pyrethrins have short life after spraying, so they will have some effect on nighttime feeders.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Fri May 01, 2015 5:06 pm

Make sure you also spray the underside of the leaves.
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Fri May 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Ths is a five year old thread and the poster has not been on since 2010.

It was resurrected by the poster immediately before Jim's response which asked about a jaboticaba. The pics are not the ones relating to the new poster's question.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri May 01, 2015 9:00 pm

Guess that'll teach me to pay attention, and I did a bit of research, too.  Grrr. It's not that difficult to start another thread.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Fri May 01, 2015 9:07 pm

Haha. Question now remains as to whether the same treatments might apply to a jaboticaba.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri May 01, 2015 9:23 pm

Don't ask me. My research on that subject would have to include buying one, growing it for a few years, and even then . . . .
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  dbar Wed May 06, 2015 5:48 am

yeah, sorry about that guys. I not good with computers & don't know how to post pics yet so I posted on this thread. I will say that I noticed the original poster lives in philly & I live about 1/2 hour away. I didn't know if the issue might be regional.

dbar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down