Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Shohin Crabapple Progression Series

2 posters

Go down

Another Shohin Crabapple Progression Series Empty Another Shohin Crabapple Progression Series

Post  Orion Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:11 am

Crabapples are one of my favorite species to work with; I've always found them very tough and forgiving. The idea behind this one is to impart the feeling of extreme age. A lot of times with crabapples, if left to their own devises, for trunks similar to a Red Bull can. The other option is to cut back the trunk and select a new leader which usually results in the trunk cant which is so characteristic of crabapple bonsai.

Eventually, my plan is to reorient the trunk into a more upright position with strong surface roots, but that'll come later.

Another Shohin Crabapple Progression Series Dscn1241

Another Shohin Crabapple Progression Series Dscn1242

Another Shohin Crabapple Progression Series Dscn1243

pics 1-3 were taken this past winter. The "plan" was to do no more than work on developing leaders and side branches.

Another Shohin Crabapple Progression Series Dscn1244

Another Shohin Crabapple Progression Series Dscn1245

pics 4 and 5 were taken late this spring after a flush of growth and some early branch development.

Another Shohin Crabapple Progression Series Dscn1412

Another Shohin Crabapple Progression Series Dscn1413

Another Shohin Crabapple Progression Series Dscn1415

The last 3 were taken just a few days ago. The plan at this stage is to re-develop a new L branch. The previous one was rather anemic and just didn't fit the overall idea, so I cut it off and will work on regrowing a new one. There are a lot of warts and swelling around the area, yet sometimes I like the way they seem to go with the idea of great age. I'll end up reducing the swelling later and also focus on notching out the crotch between the two leaders. I wanted to keep the lower branches on the R (see pics 1-3 again), but I wasn't getting any cooperation on buds forming below. I didn't want to lose the branch, so I made a wedge to force the branch lower which you can see in the last two pics.

Hopefully, you'll find this interesting.

Orion
Orion

Back to top Go down

Another Shohin Crabapple Progression Series Empty Re: Another Shohin Crabapple Progression Series

Post  Rui Marques Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:31 pm

Do you have any progression on this crabapple?
Rui Marques
Rui Marques

Back to top Go down

Another Shohin Crabapple Progression Series Empty Re: Another Shohin Crabapple Progression Series

Post  Rui Marques Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:21 pm

I wonder why someone starts a progression thread and don't even say something for 2 years..
Rui Marques
Rui Marques

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down