Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shohin Juniper Progression and Challenge

Go down

Shohin Juniper Progression and Challenge Empty Shohin Juniper Progression and Challenge

Post  Orion Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:23 am

Here is a small (7") juniper that I have been working on. One of the challenges so far has been attempting to resolve the protrusion of the top branches at the left; those to the right were much easier to re-orient nearly 90 degrees to the left in order to form the apex.
Shohin Juniper Progression and Challenge Dscn1219

The second photo shows the front after the new apex was formed. I looked at the tree from every imaginable angle to see if there were other possibilities, but that would mean the loss of the front jin. What I decided to do is keep the front as is and try to use as much torque to reshape the branches without splitting the crotch. Instead if wiring, I used a strip of cloth and slowly pulled one end until you could feel the cracking start; I stopped at that point. I considered splitting the branches at the crotch completely through, but if I screwed that up then I could loose everything at the top.

Sorry about the photo quality and I have to host the photo as of today in the following post since I'm having a hard time attaching picture 2.
Orion
Orion

Back to top Go down

Shohin Juniper Progression and Challenge Empty Re: Shohin Juniper Progression and Challenge

Post  Orion Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:25 am

Here is the second photo after the change so far...

Shohin Juniper Progression and Challenge Dscn1220
Orion
Orion

Back to top Go down

Shohin Juniper Progression and Challenge Empty Re: Shohin Juniper Progression and Challenge

Post  Orion Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:50 pm

Here's an updated shot of from the right side

Shohin Juniper Progression and Challenge Dscn1221
Orion
Orion

Back to top Go down

Post  Orion Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:51 pm

here is a picture from the back before the apex and lateral branches were initially formed

Shohin Juniper Progression and Challenge Dscn1222

Last edited by Orion on Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarity)
Orion
Orion

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down