Shohin Juniper Progression and Challenge

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Shohin Juniper Progression and Challenge

Post  Orion on Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:23 am

Here is a small (7") juniper that I have been working on. One of the challenges so far has been attempting to resolve the protrusion of the top branches at the left; those to the right were much easier to re-orient nearly 90 degrees to the left in order to form the apex.

The second photo shows the front after the new apex was formed. I looked at the tree from every imaginable angle to see if there were other possibilities, but that would mean the loss of the front jin. What I decided to do is keep the front as is and try to use as much torque to reshape the branches without splitting the crotch. Instead if wiring, I used a strip of cloth and slowly pulled one end until you could feel the cracking start; I stopped at that point. I considered splitting the branches at the crotch completely through, but if I screwed that up then I could loose everything at the top.

Sorry about the photo quality and I have to host the photo as of today in the following post since I'm having a hard time attaching picture 2.

Orion

Back to top Go down

Re: Shohin Juniper Progression and Challenge

Post  Orion on Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:25 am

Here is the second photo after the change so far...

Orion

Back to top Go down

Post  Orion on Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:50 pm

Here's an updated shot of from the right side

Orion

Back to top Go down

Post  Orion on Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:51 pm

here is a picture from the back before the apex and lateral branches were initially formed

Last edited by Orion on Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarity)

Orion

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:24 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum