Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ulmus Parvifolia 5 years progression

+45
AdamJonas
magoca
Bonzi
Nigel Parke
Neli
Nemphis
amazonida
leatherback
Speakergod
BonsaiJim
blackrose
dorothy7774
bingregory
davidlpf
bucknbonsai
rock
Gary Swiech
marcus watts
coh
Lnatural
John Quinn
Jesse
guy ward
pongsatorn.k
Seth Ellwood
Ryan
snobird
Mike Jones
rexman
ogi uyehara
ogie
GerhardGerber
mokster
slowly but surely
Pavel Slovák
Albert Ward
Russell Coker
hirow08
Mr. Moody
moyogijohn
littleart-fx
Jim McIntyre
fiona
Ian Young
Storm
49 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Ulmus Parvifolia 5 years progression - Page 4 Empty Re: Ulmus Parvifolia 5 years progression

Post  Speakergod Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:35 pm

Hello David,

Just wanted to add my two cents. Thank you for the beautiful clear photos of your progression and all the hard work in developing this tree. The payoff shows. Smile

I seldom see a chinese Elm that I would want to own myself, but this tree ranks among them. I see far to many that have the "S" shaped trunk, whacked off top and poor branching on everyones shelf. I think this is largely because few imports that make it here are very well developed to start with and most do not take the time and effort required to develope them into really fine plants.

I can relate to the too many trees and little time, LOL. But this beautiful tree "deserves" a weeding. Maybe just 5 minutes and forget the other lesser plants for the time being. Then if you would be so kind, please place it on a nice stand, take a new shot, submit it and let the rest of us drool over it. Wink

Kind regards,
Speakergod

Speakergod
Speakergod

Back to top Go down

Ulmus Parvifolia 5 years progression - Page 4 Empty Re: Ulmus Parvifolia 5 years progression

Post  leatherback Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:21 am

Nice, and amazing. I was surprised to see Mr Stanley pop by and see you air-layer it. Gutsy choice! Nice work overal. WOuld be nice to have the first and last image next to each other for comparison.
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:20 am

Last edited by David Cortizas on Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Ulmus Parvifolia 5 years progression - Page 4 Empty ulmus

Post  amazonida Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:47 pm

good job, this was the best option. did you think too much to do that?
have you consider another opition? like, cut of the apex and choose another one to conserve the root itself??
thanks

amazonida

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:25 pm

Last edited by David Cortizas on Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Nemphis Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:01 am

David Cortizas wrote:The problem was the nebari was really ugly.

Thank you!

What did you do with the nebari part after the airlayiering?
Nemphis
Nemphis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:12 am

Last edited by David Cortizas on Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Nemphis Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:15 am

David Cortizas wrote:Ulmus Parvifolia 5 years progression - Page 4 X_1610

Apologizes for the bad weeds.

It looks quite good.
Any virtual in mind?
Nemphis
Nemphis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:41 am

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:00 am

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Swiech Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:10 am

I would layer the stump.

Ulmus parvifolia roots so easy, I'd get rid of those ugly big roots over time and let the smaller roots take over and have a nice clump style or
raft style bonsai eventually. Those roots look like tubers.

The other tree is coming along great.

too many trees and little free time

I had many more trees than I have now back in the 70's and 80's but it's still true. Their never seems to be enough time! Shocked
Gary Swiech
Gary Swiech

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:50 am

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:34 pm

Back to top Go down

Post  Nemphis Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:19 am

Marvelous tree!
Nemphis
Nemphis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:06 am

Back to top Go down

Post  Neli Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:48 am

WAW!
This is a fantastic work and lesson and inspiration!
Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:09 pm

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:45 pm

Last edited by David Cortizas on Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Ulmus Parvifolia 5 years progression - Page 4 Empty Base of the Tree

Post  Nigel Parke Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:37 pm

David,

Just curious, what did you do with the base of the tree after taking the air-layer?

Regards,
Nigel
Nigel Parke
Nigel Parke

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:39 pm

Last edited by David Cortizas on Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Bonzi Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:17 am

Really a great photo series of progression... As a newbie, it gives me an idea and inspired me a lot... Great Work! Hoping I can do the same to my Ulmus...
Bonzi
Bonzi

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:46 am

Hi David,

thx for this series. Very nice work.

one question: have you considered thinning out the roots a little, so that others can grow thicker?

Cheers,

Jelle.
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:33 pm

Back to top Go down

Post  magoca Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:37 pm

David Cortizas wrote:Thank you all for the comments.

Jelle I need to work a lot the nebari, but little by little, thank you.

The tree today.

Ulmus Parvifolia 5 years progression - Page 4 Rio_0510

Thank you.
BONITO ARBOL ,GRACIAS POR ENSEÑARNOS EL BUEN TRABAJO REALIZADO
Saludos Manel
magoca
magoca

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Swiech Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:35 pm

I still think the tree looks better with the lower branch removed.
Gary Swiech
Gary Swiech

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next