weigela florida ( black horse)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post  moyogijohn on Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:02 am

Has anyone tried this shrub for a bonsai?? i seen one that will make a small one just to do something.....thanks take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Re: weigela florida ( black horse)

Post  JimLewis on Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:04 pm

Haven't tried one -- yet. I planted a bunch of them around the house. Bright red flowers. Leaves get rather long, however, so might have to be a larger bonsai han I like to grow. Also, wood has a pithy center, so wiring would be difficult -- maybe not possible. I have a cutting or two working.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn on Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:20 pm

Thank You Jim,, You are right the branches are soft so no wireing i would think..broom style for the one i have found...maybe it could be just for the flowers..we will see..thank you for your comment..take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Weigela florida 'Dark Horse'

Post  bonsaisr on Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:59 pm

Dasu Studio has one, bonsaitrees.com
Also Hermann Geers in the Netherlands.
Iris

bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  tim stubbs on Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:35 pm

this photo was taken 3 years ago and its the only one i can find , its approx 12" high then its now slightly smaller

tim stubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn on Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:52 pm

Thank You ,,Mrs Iris and Tim,,,I checked the one out on that site,,not a bad tree.. Tim your tree looks nice,,thank you for posting..do you have to cut these back hard after flowering??? i seen on the internet to cut then because they flower on old growth??? thanks both of you take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  tim stubbs on Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:00 pm

yes i prune back to the old growth , i have a smaller varigated one but cant find a photo of it

tim stubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn on Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:15 pm

Thank you Tim,,Your tree has a very nice trunk and the flowers are great!! The one i am looking at is much smaller with a spreading limb structure .. it may be fun to work with...thanks take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:46 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum